Problem with my camera, again. EOS 40D

Hobbes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out earlier this afternoon to take some photos and it started to rain a lil bit, well barely just a few tiny tiny drops and I only took one pic while it was raining and when I tried to change ISO setting by pressing the dedicated ISO button it took like several seconds for it to respond and sometimes it didnt respond at all so I almost panicked because I just got my camera fixed when the main LCD broke when it was only three days old :confused: well I did the same thing most people would have done which was to turn the thing off and turn it on again but the problem was still there... but after a few minutes I got the idea of removing the battery and then put it back again and everything went back to normal again with the ISO button started to work as it did before. Now I am just wondering if this has happened to any of you too. I am using a three weeks old Canon EOS 40D with 17-85mm IS USM lens. pic below will give an idea what it is like to use it

inhand02.jpg

i really think it is not from the water drops... a week ago, while i was shooting a sunrise on the danube bank a took a dip in the water, the camera wasn't sunk but the splash that i caused soaked my nikon d60. i got it wraped in my woolen jacket and got the battery out. 30 mins later it was working just fine.

yeah it may have been some weird temporary malfunction course I went out with my camera earlier today and it worked just fine. thanks for the replies :)

@sburatorul
lmao didn't know the D60 can take so much water or maybe you were just lucky :D

I got caught in a torrential downpour while in the rain forests of Costa Rica. My 20D got absolutely soaked...so much so that the LCD screen fogged up on the inside. The camera never skipped a beat and still works fine, several years later.

I got caught in a torrential downpour while in the rain forests of Costa Rica. My 20D got absolutely soaked...so much so that the LCD screen fogged up on the inside. The camera never skipped a beat and still works fine, several years later.

wth lol I thought that EOS 20D 30D 40D are not weather sealed at all

I had that happen to one of my A2's too. The tin roof of the utility building I was setup in leaked during heavy rains and just like a faucet opened to a very heavy dribble, proceeded to soak one of the A2's and in so doing splashed the two next to it. This went on for about 10 hours before anyone noticed. I had to unbolt the lens and disassemble it completely to dry out the elements but it worked OK after it was dried out and it kept working right up until the day I sold it many months later.

A2's are definitely not weather sealed.

wth lol I thought that EOS 20D 30D 40D are not weather sealed at all

I don't know about the other ones, but I read that the 40D is supposed to be weather sealed. I wonder if that was hype or it just means some level of weather-proofing, short of sealing. I would like to know, because I have one. :?:

Doubtful that the rain did it. I've had way worse than that happen without any kinds of problems. Every once in a while a bad apple does come off the assembly line. It could be that, but probably just a one time fluke, really. What kind of memory cards and batteries are you using?

A couple drops of sea water landed on my Sony P&S at the beach, all buttons stopped working and it didn't turn off either. Started working fine after 20 minutes of drying, but the power button spring got corroded and the cam wouldn't turn off at all.
Sony quoted $110 for replacing that, i stuffed a piece off chopped eraser under the plastic arm oft he switch, and it's been working fine since the last 3 years.

I have a 40D also first wedding I did with it same thing happened, I couldent change the ISO and it would not auto focus, I took out the battery and it sill wouldent work, so I took it home pulled out all the batteries and recharged them and its worked fine ever since, have no idea what happened.

sometimes they get a glitch, but if you get water inside best thing is to let the camera spend at least a day or two indisde a sealed plastic bag with a load of silicon gel - that should dry the thing out and if problems continue its off to the repaire shop - as a point salt water is definatly something to avoid with cameras due to the salt that gets depoited on the camera from the spray

I have been storm chasing with my 40D in torrential downpores getting the camera soaked, went hiking in Palo Duro Canyon getting sand all over it (plus salt from all the sweet on my hands), and took it to the beach were it got sand and salt water on it and it hasn't missed a beat... granted I also had my 17-40 L on that is also weather sealed on all of these outings. I have to say, with the amount of abuse I have put this camera through and it hasn't let me down yet, I'm impressed.

I have been storm chasing with my 40D in torrential downpores getting the camera soaked, went hiking in Palo Duro Canyon getting sand all over it (plus salt from all the sweet on my hands), and took it to the beach were it got sand and salt water on it and it hasn't missed a beat... granted I also had my 17-40 L on that is also weather sealed on all of these outings. I have to say, with the amount of abuse I have put this camera through and it hasn't let me down yet, I'm impressed.

man! stop treating your camera like a jerk lol just kidding. well first of all 40D isn't weather sealed at all at least the buttons are not. well the problem hasn't reoccurred yet and I hope it will be fine until I have enough money to upgrade again lmao

Most reactions

New Topics

Back