Problem with new speedlight and exposure

illbowhunter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took some pictures at a friends wedding Saturday and had a lot of problem getting good exposure even though I was using my new Promaster 7500EDF light. Most of the pictures came out very underexposed. After downloading the pictures and checking them in photoshop I noticed the message in the flash section stating "Flash fired, Compulsory, Return light detected". What does this mean??? I was shooting with TTL setting on light with camera in aperture mode. Was it picking up the bright white of her dress?

Please post a couple of the images to help with the diagnosis. The "Flash fired..." message means that the camera knows that it triggered the flash, and that the reflected light it requires for TTL exposure analysis was detected, BUT, is that flash TTL capable with your camera body? Many third-pary flashes will only work in manual mode.

It is TTL capable with my camera, Nikon D5000. I won't be able to post any pictures until tonight when I get back home.

Perhaps there was a camera settings mistake, or a mistake in setting the flash. Maybe some "minus" exposure compensation was dialed in, causing underexposures. Any number of missteps might have influenced the problem. Had you used the flash beforehand? Are you **sure**, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the flash is TTL compatible? Is it i-TTL compatible? Or is it perhaps slightly older, and only D-TTL compatible?

Specifications for Light if this helps
• Guide Number: 138 (ISO 100, 105mm)
• TTL Auto Range: 2’-99’ (ISO 100)
• Motorized Zoom: 24mm-105mm
• Power Source: 4 AA alkaline or PROMASTER rechargeable NiMH batteries
• Recycling Time: 0.3-10 seconds
• Angle of Coverage:
92° H 75° V (with diffuser):
Covers 17mm lens on 35mm camera or 12mm lens on digital format SLR
78° H 60° V (without diffuser):
Covers 24mm lens on 35mm camera or 17mm lens on digital format SLR
• Bounce Angle: -7° to 90°
• Swivel Angle: 0° to 180°
• AF illuminator for autofocusing
• Front and rear flash-ready light
• LCD display panel
• Full digital auto TTL dedication
• TTL Auto, Manual, Multiple, Modeling, Slave
• Flash upgradeable by your PROMASTER dealer
• Available to fit Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Samsung, Sony, Olympus

TTL and i-TTL are not the same thing. Which of the 3 metering modes was your D5000 set to?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back