Problems with blurring

Sabin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm having fun with the camera I got a couple months ago, a Canon Rebel XSi, and I'm having a problem across almost all of my photos. There is usually some blurring/fuzziness on my photos, and I don't know how to diagnose where it's coming from. It happens on both my kit lens and my Sigma telephoto, in all lights (but more often in low light of course) and at all f-stops. I don't how to tell if it is a problem with the lenses, body, or me combining several blur-causing user errors.

Blurring can come from 3 key sources: too slow a shutter speed, misfocusing, or too little depth of field. If you post some example photos that display what your worried about, maybe we can give you some advice as to how to fix it.

Ok, here's some with 100% crops after.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Can you post something that hasn't had the EXIF data processed out of it?

Yeah, as soon as I figure out how to do that. :scratch:

Take a newspaper, or anything that's contrasty (Black & white text). Magazine, flyer, open book, etc. And set it flat with some very good lighting (outside on a sunny day). Take some shots at varies shutter speeds, apertures, ISOs and look at the results. That could maybe give you some answers. This may not be the best way or even really tell you anything, but that's what I'd do just to see if it gave me any clues.

what autofocus area do you use? I generally use center area only, lock focus and move to adjust my area as needed. If you let your camera pick autofocus area, it probably focuses on something you dont want to be focused. My sony did that a lot, but that was because I was too lazy to figure it out the first day I had it...I was just excited I had a new toy :D then i fixed it and good from there.

also, do you have a tripod? they help. Get a good photography book, read your owners manual over and over till you understand the usage of everything too. Id reccomend "Understanding Exposure" as a great first book. While ive read most of it so far, and havnt found a whole ton of new stuff, you might. Ive had SLR cameras for almost 8 years now, and Film required knowing a lot before clicking the shutter...or just spending a lot of money. Digital is free (so to speak) and the best way to get better is to practice!

good luck, hope you get it all figured out and start getting crisp photos, that xsi should be more than capable!

Most reactions

Back