Problems with the CROP!!

i will second the onOne software, works like a charm.

There is no law that demands certain print sizes. Have you considered a size that will fit the print such as an 11X17 or a 13X19?

You will have to either get mats cut for the prints or cut them yourself if you have the equipment. For framing there are several different component frames available where you pick the two lengths you need.

Micheals and Hobby Lobby have some nice simple black metal component frames. I prefer a simple frame on most photographs anyway so as not to distract from the subject.

THis is an old thread, but I think some of these recent posts don't understand the problem.

I framed the picture (truck pictures) exactly the way I wanted them. When it came time to print an 8x10 of those pictures it required a crop of the picture to fit the 8x10 format. Unfortunately the tight framing made it to where part of the truck was cut off when cropped for an 8x10.

Example:
2008-08-09_22web-1.jpg

Now take that picture and crop it into an 8x10 format (minus the digital framing) for me without cutting off part of the picture.

I think my original annoyance was not so much with the cropping of the camera, but more with society/industry. Society??? Yeah, the fact that the most popular print sizes are not the same as the aspect ratio of DSLR cameras.

It would make more sense (to me) to have a bunch of 8x12 frames and 16x24 frames instead of 8x10 and 16x20. Anyway, I've fixed this problem by shooting each shot at about 2-3 different focal lengths. This way if I like the shot above that was at say 50mm, and want to print an 8x10, then I can crop that same picture taken at 18 or 25mm and make it fit fine.

There is no law that demands certain print sizes. Have you considered a size that will fit the print such as an 11X17 or a 13X19?

You will have to either get mats cut for the prints or cut them yourself if you have the equipment. For framing there are several different component frames available where you pick the two lengths you need.

Micheals and Hobby Lobby have some nice simple black metal component frames. I prefer a simple frame on most photographs anyway so as not to distract from the subject.

The "piece together yourself" frames that I've seen at hobby lobby look cheap in my opinion. Even at hobby lobby when I asked for a 16x24 frame, their were none. I had a 16x24 giraffe picture that I printed and could never find a frame. I ended up mounting it on a foam board and hanging the picture frameless. It looks great, but not exactly what I wanted. I ran into the same problem with the giraffe photo in the fact that I framed it as I wanted and left no room for cropping so was forced to print 16x24 instead of 16x20.

The matting idea is a good one, but pretty expensive I'm sure to get mattes custom cut. Also I'm not sure of anywhere in my area to get that kind of thing done.

The "piece together yourself" frames that I've seen at hobby lobby look cheap in my opinion. Even at hobby lobby when I asked for a 16x24 frame, their were none. I had a 16x24 giraffe picture that I printed and could never find a frame. I ended up mounting it on a foam board and hanging the picture frameless. It looks great, but not exactly what I wanted. I ran into the same problem with the giraffe photo in the fact that I framed it as I wanted and left no room for cropping so was forced to print 16x24 instead of 16x20.

The matting idea is a good one, but pretty expensive I'm sure to get mattes custom cut. Also I'm not sure of anywhere in my area to get that kind of thing done.

I've seen them at Hobby Lobby, but never used them. I have used one at Michaels and liked it. Possibly because it was black anodized aluminum that happened to be a close match to what I normally like to use in my office for my photos. Black, stylish but simple. Matting is expensive to get cut, and I may look into a mat cutter one of these days and DIY my own mats as well.

Oh! First, and I do mean the FIRST thing I saw was a compositional error... that lamp growing out of the truck's roof.

Distracting as heck, Nate. I know it is not related to what you were looking at, and I do apologize... but it was a bit of a "oh wow, that doesn't belong there..." moment for me. :)

The border... yes, thats a very good way to get the aspect ratio you need to get the job done, I'll keep that hint for myself in the future if I ever need it.

Oh! First, and I do mean the FIRST thing I saw was a compositional error... that lamp growing out of the truck's roof.

Distracting as heck, Nate. I know it is not related to what you were looking at, and I do apologize... but it was a bit of a "oh wow, that doesn't belong there..." moment for me. :)

The border... yes, thats a very good way to get the aspect ratio you need to get the job done, I'll keep that hint for myself in the future if I ever need it.

Yeah, this shoot was about 6 months ago Jerry and I had a C&C thread on here about it. I'm very aware of the lamp pole put there by the devil..lol. That was one of my biggest learning experiences from that shoot was to watch for things "sticking out" of my subjects.

Why does he have to have 8x10 and 11x14? Most full service labs offer a wide variety of 2:3 aspect ratio prints. Check out Mpix.com.

My strategy to deal with this has been to educate the client about aspect ratio before shooting. I tell them that the normal aspect ratio of the camera is 2:3, and that while some photos will be able to be cropped to another aspect, some won't, and if they need 4:5 or 5:7 I can do that, but they have to tell me ahead of time. Most people don't care unless they are trying to fit a specific frame. It can be tough to find 2:3 aspect ratio frames in department stores, but framing shops and online stores have lots of 2:3 aspect ratio frame options.

Why does he have to have 8x10 and 11x14? Most full service labs offer a wide variety of 2:3 aspect ratio prints. Check out Mpix.com.

My strategy to deal with this has been to educate the client about aspect ratio before shooting. I tell them that the normal aspect ratio of the camera is 2:3, and that while some photos will be able to be cropped to another aspect, some won't, and if they need 4:5 or 5:7 I can do that, but they have to tell me ahead of time. Most people don't care unless they are trying to fit a specific frame. It can be tough to find 2:3 aspect ratio frames in department stores, but framing shops and online stores have lots of 2:3 aspect ratio frame options.

Because you can't hardly find a frame for a 8x12 and I have had no luck in finding frames for things like 16x24, 10x14, etc... What's the point of printing it if you can't frame and hang it? Obviously a frameless foamboard mounting solves this but many don't like that look. I personally prefer a matted framed print over a frameless foamboard mounted print.

Because you can't hardly find a frame for a 8x12 and I have had no luck in finding frames for things like 16x24, 10x14, etc... What's the point of printing it if you can't frame and hang it? Obviously a frameless foamboard mounting solves this but many don't like that look. I personally prefer a matted framed print over a frameless foamboard mounted print.

Picture Frames | Photography Frames | Mat Board | Photo Storage
Photo sizes:
Ready Made Frames

Picture Frames R Us - Black Frames

Picture Frames

Pretty much any size you want. A wide selection of styles. Personally, unless it is a portrait of some sort, I prefer a simple black gallery style with mat.

Picture Frames | Photography Frames | Mat Board | Photo Storage
Photo sizes:
Ready Made Frames

Picture Frames R Us - Black Frames

Picture Frames

Pretty much any size you want. A wide selection of styles. Personally, unless it is a portrait of some sort, I prefer a simple black gallery style with mat.

That would have helped a bunch 6 months ago, but that will also help in the future. Very good prices and cheap shipping too. Thanks for the link. For some reason I couldn't find anything like that for a decent price when I posted this thread originally.

Sorry my advice was late, and that you are frustrated. 35mm film (2:3 aspect ratio) has been in fairly popular use since the mid 1920's, and people have been figuring out how to get it framed since then. You may have to try just a little bit harder.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back