Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Next week I'm flying to France to cover the 2019 Battlefield Bike Ride. One of the main tasks will be providing images for multiple daily social media posts. To that end, I'm considering going fully mobile with my processing. I've got a latest generation iPad Pro which seems to have sufficient horsepower to do the job, but I'm not sure about software - I've installed LR and PS for iOS, and LR seems fine, but PS is.... less than impressive. I don't expect to need a lot other than basic crop, level and colour-correct, but I'd like to have some flexibility. I don't mind paying for the right program, but I don't want subscription-ware, nor something with ads or having to buy a bunch of 'in app' purchases.

Sooooooo... recommendations, svp?

Thanks!

John,

Sounds like a fun trip. Honestly, I have used LR mobile on my iPhone with success. I have not tried it on my iPad but I would think it would be the same or even better. I really only do basic color corrections and crop and level on them as well.

Thanks Ron - it does seem that LR(M) can do pretty much everything I need, but I figured it doesn't hurt to see what else is around. It's going to be a fun but busy trip; 17 hr flight each way, 4 hr train trip and then working days of ~6.00am - 8.00pm for six days...

Thanks Ron - it does seem that LR(M) can do pretty much everything I need, but I figured it doesn't hurt to see what else is around. It's going to be a fun but busy trip; 17 hr flight each way, 4 hr train trip and then working days of ~6.00am - 8.00pm for six days...

Well if you DON'T want to go..... I know a guy, lol...(but he doesn't have a passport.)

Affinity is pretty good, but it can be a bit clunky.

I've used LR Mobile on an iPad Pro with decent results. There are 2 big issues I have with it that you may already be aware of:
  • Adjusting brightness can be an issue when not working on a calibrated display in a controlled environment. I find that the colors tend to be pretty accurate, and I get pretty good results leaving auto-brightness on and just staying away from direct sunlight.
  • If you use LR CC Classic, switching between CC and CC classic isn't seamless. I found it frustrating when I synced Classic collections to the cloud, edited in CC, then didn't have access to the same edits back in Classic. There could just be more of a learning curve, but there definitely seemed to be a gap there.

Check out Snapseed. Originally built by NIK it has U-Point technology and can do some nice conversions and enhancements while mobile.

U-Point technology>>>>>> very powerful!

One of the biggest advancements in image editing in the last 20 years.

I've been using nothing but my iPad Pro for editing for over 2 years now. I use Snapseed for a quick punch up if I only need minimal adjustments. Affinity for more in depth editing like wb, exposure, color adjustments, removing unwanted objects/cloning etc (love the Inpainting feature). Used to be able to send right to Flickr from Affinity but that is a 3rd party function and no longer supported by Flickr app!

For leveling and cropping, nothing beats the Apple Photos app. I love that you can toggle the adjustment for leveling to get it exactly right - so much easier than Affinity or Snapseed options which always take me multiple tries. And I wish all of the apps would use their pinch to crop method. You can get a great preview that way (it darkens the area outside the new frame) and then you can move the photo around in the frame to see your options and get it just right. If I have to level I do it in Apple Photos as my last step. If you level or make any changes in the Photos app then pull the photo into Affinity, it pulls the original without the edits.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back