Who is processing Fuji files with Adobe?

So...no one who has responded so far is using Adobe for Fuji files.

I currently have a Dell that was an urgently made mistake.

(My HP died and took alot of photos with it.)

I am currently running:
Canon DPP
Phase One Capture One
Hasselblad's Freeware

ironically, with the Fuji I am actually doing most of my post in Windows photo software and sometimes Gimp.

I had a very expensive HP that lasted only 3 years. Never again. Managed to resuscitate it long enough to get my initial into an external drive which then had its own issues. Technology sucks. I also tried Dell next - it lasted longer but had a lot of issues with the wireless connection and would freeze or shut down for no reason. My current laptop is my daughter’s hand me down Toshiba that I took over when I got her a MBPro about 5 years ago. That thing takes all her teenage abuse and is still going strong. one of the many reasons I’m considering shelling out big bucks for the new MBPro.

I do have experience using Adobe with Fuji RAF files. I have LR/Photoshop installed because I have to teach them and so I do check every so often when Adobe updates the software to see if they haven't made changes. If you like I can show you the issue and some of the differences.

Joe

sure that would be helpful

heck every so

(Not speaking for SP here)

To be honest for me I wont use Adobe anymore because of the subscription aspects.

I am still feeling pretty burned by PO Capture One and the end result with the software.

Whike I don’t love the subscription idea I also think there is something to be said for getting free continuous updates and it’s a decent value I think for what they’re charging IF you are using it fully. If you’re someone who doesn’t do a lot of post processing or who has dozens of other interests and only uses it a few times a month then maybe it’s not a great deal.

It can be a good deal for those who need and use it. LR's DAM features are industry unique and overall it's good software.

The "Fuji demosaicing problem" -- I will be happy to show you some examples of the issue but I have to beg your patience. The rest of my evening is booked and I'm up early tomorrow and off to class (9:00 am till 4:00) -- I'll be teaching LR to a bunch of college students. I'll get back to you then tomorrow early evening or tomorrow night.

Joe

At your convenience. I’m not in a rush to make a decision. I need to decide about the Mac vs Pc and Adobe vs Capture One or Affinity desktop. I’d prefer to use Adobe for the reasons stated previously but only if the worm issue is resolved.

Finally home from work and also from an errand I had to run.

Here's an image from an XT-2 that is full of lots of the kind of fine detail that sends Adobe into fits. I processed the raw file and exported the full-res JPEG linked here.

first from LR

Then I processed the same raw file in RT which does probably the best job of rendering fine detail from RAF files. This makes for a very noticeable difference.

second from RT

Load them both up and view them at 100% and you'll see the difference. These then are two extremes. The LR image can be improved with after processing sharpening. Avoid the Detail panel in LR and instead sharpen the file in PS or some other editor. Another raw processor like C1 will do a better job than Adobe but not quite equal RT.

Not every RAF file will look as bad out of LR. The problem is in really fine detail like grass and trees. If you have a file like this one you now have an Adobe option in LR to use the Enhance Detail demosaicing before you process the file. It works great and makes LR's output competitive with the better raw converters however it creates a linear DNG file. XT-2 raw files are 48mb. That linear DNG is 126mb and it's very process intensive to create -- not an elegant solution.

Joe

What is RT again?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back