product photography C&C

robertwsimpson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My father in law is making these and he wanted me to snap some product shots for his website. This is what I came up with...

It is something new instead of a unity candle at a wedding. My wife and I used it at ours, and it turned out very cool!

They distract you from the giant wooden sculpture that takes up most of the frame and is sitting right dead center? I suggest riddlin.

I dont think he means ADD "Riddlin" type distracting. Its more like the audience that you want viewing your product might not have absolutely 100% focus on the subject you are trying to sell.

hm, interesting...

Well, if I shoot it again, I'll definitely use something other than a blanket for a backdrop... too hard to get all the wrinkles out. plus it was one of those "rub me one way, I'm light brown, the other way and I'm dark brown" blankets. Fun to play with, but really annoying to photograph.

It's well lit and the angle looks good but I agree that the background could use some work. I haven't been able to get backgrounds to look right with anything other than white paper.. which is probably the easiest. Even black paper looks terrible for me unless I go crazy in post trying to make it BLACK (like 0, 0, 0 on the RGB scale..)

I think you can fix your bg in post though..

For me it's the shadow to the upper right, but the part where it isn't pulled tight is also making shadows.

I think you could have put this on a table with candles behind it and had some nice light bokeh behind it too.. but from a product photography standpoint I think the background has to be just right.

Just my opinion though, I'll edit it and see if I can smooth out the bg. Is it a microfiber blanket? Looks comfy..

hm I actually like the candle idea a lot! I might give this another try in a dark room. I did this during the day, so I had to overpower the daylight with my flashes... Thanks for the idea!

Here's a background edit. It's far from perfect but it was a quick attempt. Just used Viveza 2 to try to even up the brightness of the background and I cloned over the 'wrinkles' or folds or whatever where the blanket wasn't pulled tight. I added the terrible watermark cause it's on imgur and it's a product shot..

G86J2.jpg

wow that's pretty good. I might have to check out that software if I don't do a complete reshoot. Thanks for the help.

wow that's pretty good. I might have to check out that software if I don't do a complete reshoot. Thanks for the help.

NP. It's good software so I talk it up a lot on here. To do some of the local edits as well as it does you'd have to spend a lot of time layering and masking and then wading through the separate adobe settings screens for saturation and brightness, etc..

Here's a quick video I found of it in action showing how it's great for subtle and quick color edits.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY2PARDMw84[/ame]

They distract you from the giant wooden sculpture that takes up most of the frame and is sitting right dead center? I suggest riddlin.

Yes, actually. For product shots, the background is usually monotone and doesnt blend into the subject. Theres another thought for next shoot, if you wanted it.

Mark

Asking for C&C and then getting defensive towards the first post FTL.

Most reactions

Back