Product Photography: White on White

akazoly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a light tent.
lighttent.jpg

I have two lights on the bottom to achieve pure white (#ffffff) - The bottom light is stronger than left and right.
I took the meter reading using a gray card. It reads f/8 @ 1/40sec. So, I can take photos constantly on pure white background using 1/40sec. I'm using SPOT Metering.

Now, I would like to take photos of white objects on pure white. I think I can't use spot metering in this situation. Right? I don't really know how to do it. Where to meter? If background came out a bit gray I think is not a big problem, because I can cut the object out in Lightroom using the Adjustment Brush and auto mask.

As far as I know when you photograph White on White the object has to be gray to separate it from pure white (#ffffff).

I would be grateful for any ideas. Thank you!

As far as I know when you photograph White on White the object has to be gray to separate it from pure white
Yes, it is common practice to slightly underexpose a white object when shot on a white backdrop, to give separation.

Yes, but the bottom is two stops brighter than the side lights.
Do I need to use matrix metering? Because spot metering blows out any white area, or anything close to the background. Spot metering works well for non-white objects.

Last edited:
Yes, but the bottom is two stops brighter than the side lights.
Do I need to use matrix metering? Because spot metering blows out any white area, or anything close to the background. Spot metering works well for non-white objects.

dont use any meetering. shoot manual and get the same exposure everytime. set shutter speed, aperture and iso to get the exposure you want.
if the item blend too much with the background, lower the exposure on the background or the product in post.

I think shooting white on white is not a good idea in a tent, i'm not sure it is possible to get a quality shot this way, much better on a white background because you can get plenty of distance between subject and background

Most reactions

New Topics

Back