Professional Photography...

LittleMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sorberaguitars.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have really been thinking lately about what I am going to be doing with my life/what I will do for a living to make money...
My dream is to be a photographer that travels all over the world working for some catalogue or business. The problem is, I don't know where to start! For one.... I don't know whether I should get a college degree or just spend the time I would be doing that working on my portfolio and making it amazing/learning languages. (am very good with languages)
It is very difficult for me because I am a complete idiot when it comes to math and I don't even think I can get into college because of that... I have a professional photographer friend (Joe Webb) who is a very famous photographer in these parts and is willing to train me more (I have already taken some classes from him)

What should I do... :meh: I am working on getting a new professional canon 35mm camera so I will at least have some good equipment. I am just stuck with no idea what to do next...

Any help would be nice...

Well, I would say school. I wouldn't worry about the math. Start yourself at a community college first. I got a chance to sit down with Tony Spina. He was a pulitzer prize winning photographer in Detroit. He recommended without a doubt, get a college education.

Not only will you get an education, you will meet so many people that would have the possibility to help you in the future. Networking is major.

I'm not going to give you advice on what to do but I'll tell you what my boyfriend and I have done because we've both done it very differently! (sorry for the book i've written!)

I finished highschool had no idea what I wanted to do (I thought I wanted to teach french) so went straight to uni in my home town to study French just coz I liked it and was good at it. I'm now in my final year of uni and have just spent the past year in France (as part of my degree, studying). Which is a very nice way to end 4 yrs of study! Kind of glad I didn't spend the year in france right after I finished school, because I'm older now and can appreciate it and learn a lot more from it. Anyway, when I get back to Australia I have to go and do some exams for air traffic controlling which is what I really want to do. And that has absolutely nothing to do with my studies as you can see!

Now, my boyfriend who is the same age as me, took a year off after high school to work and save money and figure out what he wanted to do in life. He worked at K-mart (no not in the photo lab!) and also in a music shop. Then he figured out he wanted to study audio so he went south to a great school and got his diploma. While studying because of the contacts he made, he found a job in a great music store in his new town. Because of contacts he made in this music store, he found some volunteer work for a radio station. Then a few months later he was getting paid to work for another radio station. Then a few months later he got a really kick ass advertising production position. His contacts just keep taking him higher and higher. It's amazing to watch actually. (I'm very jealous!)

So either way it'll work out for you.
That sounds really dodgy how you can't get into college if your maths sucks. (Another reason why australia is the best!) Could you do both at once? - college and being tutored by this photography guy.?

Now for the advice. I'd say go to college if you can.
Then if the photography thing doesn't work out for you and you change career track- at least you can say you've got a degree in something. Most of the crap you learn at college doesn't help you in real life anyway (well me at least) and people just wanna see if you have that peice of paper. Coz you learn more than just facts and technique at uni. You learn how to deal with people, communicating, analysing and all that stuff.

I'd say college too :) Not only is it a great experience, but it will also increase knowledge in all areas not just photography. I'm horrible at Math too, but I got in, took my one math requirement and now am headed down the path I choose :) I would say you could get away with not having a college education as many people have, but like what was said above you'll have something to fall back on. Plus it broadens your world view...I went into college thinking I wanted to work in the film/television industry and halfway through discovered my love of photography. Had it not been for college I probably wouldn't be taking pics at all...now I am a year away from having a degree in Communications/Commerial Arts (w/concentration in photography) and the options seem endless it's just a matter of finding the job that fits me. Sounds like you could double major in Photography/some foreign language and be all set :) Don't let the math worry you, I had the same fears, got in and got out :)

After you decide if you want to go then the tough choice comes in...where to go ;)

i say go to college and take classes from the guy that way you'll have something to fall back on if you realize u want to do something else

good luck and have fun whatever you do!! :D

I say go for it...never a bad move...although the place im working says dont go to uni because otherwise id be "over qulified" to work in a studio...but I recon travel photography you would need a degree...plus...your good enough to do it..

Go for it mate, we're all behind you :D

I'd say college.. even if its not photography centered. Sure there are people that make it out there with no schooling, but why not do it if you can?

I can't think of any situation where a college degree would HURT you. Often times employers just want to see that you have a degree, not what specifically it is in. Going to college not only applies to your chosen field, but it shows that you have dedication, time management skills, and the ability to focus on a task.

Now if you can get into a program centering around photography, all the better!

I do feel your pain though, I'm about a year away from getting my BA, and at times it is frustrating and I think, "screw it, I'm just going to chuck this psychology stuff and go take some pictures!", but I have to think that while photography may be a bit unstable of a career at times, if I have a college degree, I'll always be able to fall back on that and (hopefully :lol: ) find a job.

And don't worry about the math part. I'm no math whiz, but I've managed to make it this far. Just don't ask me anything about geometry or algebra. :lol:

Go to college for the languages, and take a few photography classes while you're there. Get a job using your knowledge of languages travelling in exotic lands. Take lot's of pics of your travels, publish a few coffee table books, and become a famous travel photographer on the side. :)

well... I'd like to be a pro photog who travels all around the world and just shoots too... but I think you should take college right now... languages... or internationa tourism... something like that ... :p

ksmattfish said:
Go to college for the languages, and take a few photography classes while you're there. Get a job using your knowledge of languages travelling in exotic lands. Take lot's of pics of your travels, publish a few coffee table books, and become a famous travel photographer on the side. :)
everything here sounds awesome and ksmattfish I think this will be the route that I will have to take. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back