antelope-closeup-022208-2.jpg

antelope-closeup-022208-3.jpg

Antelope-closeup-022208-1.jpg

coyote-022208-2.jpg

Coyote-022208-1.jpg

coyote-022208-3.jpg

and a bonus mule deer doe
Mule-Deer-Doe-022208-1.jpg

Those pronghorns sure are some ugly creatures! :lol: As far as the photos go I also like #9 the best. How'd you get so lucky and get that coyote to stand by that bush/tree? I'm never that lucky when it comes to photo ops with wildlife.

Usually by the time I compose the shot and get the camera settled and ready to take the shot the dang critter's gone! :confused:

Anyways, very nice photos. :thumbup:

ttfn
CDL.

Nice series. 9 is my fav.

Dani.

Very clear crisp shot's. All your shot's are excellent but 7,8 & 9 are my favorites!!

Great captures!!!!

Very crisp shots...you can even see the eyelashes in that first pic. But my fave is #9...the composition with that nearby tree, and the vigilant stance of the coyote, make for a gorgeous shot!

great shots

Thanks Everyone, I was pleased with what I ended up with for the day.

I know other's have asked but could you give us some insight into how you got such close-up photos without losing anything in image quality? It would be very helpful if you could shed some light on what type of equipment you used and just how long you had to wait for setting up the shots. Did you sit in a blind or were you just walking around and happen to come across these?

ttfn
CDL.

I know other's have asked but could you give us some insight into how you got such close-up photos without losing anything in image quality? It would be very helpful if you could shed some light on what type of equipment you used and just how long you had to wait for setting up the shots. Did you sit in a blind or were you just walking around and happen to come across these?

ttfn
CDL.

Equipment was a Canon Rebel XT, and a Canon 100-400 "L" lens. These images did loose some quality with the resize to the web, I should have sharpened them prior to posting but I got lazy. For image quality, I believe it's a couple of things that contribute to it. First is quality lenses, but that said I've gotten some great shots with the "lowly" Canon 75-300 $150.00 lens. Second is to not shoot with the lens wide open. These were set to about f7.1, and not shoot all the way at 400mm. Also, even though the lens is image stabilized, try for the higher shutter speeds (i.e. 1/400 sec @ 400mm). Keeping the ISO as low as possible. With all that in mind I also shoot in RAW so I have more control over things like white ballance and exposure. .JPG can give some good photos, but I've found that I throw more away and can't salvage some of my minor mistakes with them and keep the quality.

Now as to getting that close... well I cheated a little bit, these shots were all taken in Yellowstone, and the animals aren't as skittish as outside the park. That being said, keep a low profile and move slowly & in a non-threatening manner. Only move when the animal is comfortable or not watching. If they get nervous, wait it our, or leave, last thing you want to do is stress them out, and risk injury to them or you. The mule deer in the last shot is getting a bit stressed/P.O.'d at me. You can see this by the wider eyes (whites are starting to show), and the ears flattening out. I was about 10 feet from her. The next shot I took after that she really pinned her ears back, and that was my clue to leave her alone and back off. As soon as I backed off she relaxed and went back to feeding. For the Coyote shots, I never got out of the vehicle. Not pressuring it let it roam along at it's own pace sniffing and mousing it's way along. I also noticed the bison trail it was walking in (easier than walking through the snow itself) and was able to anticipate the shot with the tree by figuring out where the trail went. Once it started in that direction I set up the shot and waited for the coyote to come into the frame.

Sorry this was so long, hope it helped...

No need to apologize for the length of the post as the amount of detail is what I was wanting. So, thanks for all the information. I will probably be purchasing the same type of digital camera that you have although I will be using my, as you call it, "lowly" 75-300mm EF lens that I use with my current film camera (Canon EOS 3000) ;)

Good idea to back off from that deer as I have seen a few people get hurt getting too close to the tamer animals. As far as that shot you captured with the coyote that was good planning on your part. Most people aren't that intuitive or patient when it comes to their surroundings and waiting for the "perfect moment" to capture on film.

Thanks again for all the info!

ttfn
CDL.

I mean't "lowly" as some people tend to turn up their noses if it's not "L" glass. I'm on a limited budget and had to save for a few years before I got the 100-400. I've shot some darn good photos with that 75-300. So I guess what I'm saying is that you'll take better photos if you learn the limitations of your equipment, rather than constantly wanting the best. I've seen shots from people with $1000's worth of equipment that just plain suck! The same technique goes for the 75-300. Keep your shutter speed at least the same as your focal length (assuming hand held not on a tripod), and don't shoot with the lens "wide open" if you can help it. The 75-300 my wife and I have shoots best at about f7.1.

8 has a very strong resemblance in the eyes to a popular female tennis star who recently won something :wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back