ps retard question.

303villain

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok ive got a photograph(see below for example..) and i want the subject(in this situation the fountain/the reflection on the water) to be in focus, but the background to be distorted or blurred to the point where i cant recognize all of the clutter in the background that i hate. how can i do this in ps? i was told to use a gaussian(sp?) blur but i couldnt quite figure it out! im new to ps... :lmao:

thanks!

-->
HPIM0634.jpg

Make a duplicate layer. Then apply the blur to the top layer. Now you can erase the top layer in the places that you want to be sharp.

Or better yet, use a layer mask and mask off the areas that you want to be sharp. The layer mask gives you more flexibility, as you can paint the mask on or off as you go.

Don't forget to straighten the horizon. :)

Using a mask is the best option with this photo. Don't be intimindated, masks are pretty easy...read your PS manual. :)

ya, thats not the picture im using, but it was the first one i saw when i was looking at my photobucket. the other has a straight horizon.

i didnt get a ps manual :(

Another option is to lasso the area you want to blur. once selected - inverse your selection (should be under "select" )and then apply what every you want to the inversed area.

There are some good books out there about PS and tons & tons of web pages. Once you get a handle on what you are trying to do...search it up.

Of course, trial & error is fun too.

cs2. the trial and error bit has gotten me pretty far so far, but im using someone elses computer to access the internet, and theres no wireless here, so i cant spend tons of time online looking, i will when i get back from my vacation though, i went and bought a digital photo book today, pretty nifty so far!

I'm still on ps6...very primative compartively but works like a happy bee drone. I have an extra copy of a ps5 manual but it will probably be no good for ya...hmmm when you get back check yer local university library...there hasto be something there and if they dont have it inhouse they can get it froma another university using their interlibrary loan dept.

The more technical methods previously mentioned here are very good and effective offering plenty of latitude. This simple way is to use the "blur tool" from your tool pallette. Once selected, right click and adjust how you want the blur tool to work then have at it.

mygrain said:
Another option is to lasso the area you want to blur. once selected - inverse your selection (should be under "select" )and then apply what every you want to the inversed area.

I would go with using a mask but if your just learning this method works well. I might just add some feathering to give it softer edges. Feather is under the select drop down menu.

As the fountain is pretty bright in this photo I would use the "Color Range" option under "select" to select the fountain and then inverse the selection and convert to a mask. I would then use Gausian Blur.

you could also maske the fountain and use lens blur for a different effect. i would avoid using the blur brush tool. it usually ends up uneven.

Most reactions

Back