"Public photography is not a crime" - PEN Article

The NRA is sometimes questionable, but as a gun owner I think that they do more good than harm.There are arguably better organizations to invest your money in, like the group who's name I cannot remember at the moment - a Jewish gun owners group. It's said that they have more clout in DC than the NRA. Damnit, I can't believe that I can't remember their name...

As for taking photos of me on the job... hey, click away. I don't mind it.

If everyone was like you, there would be no issue. You seem to be in the minority though. At least from what I've personally seen.

In reference to taking photos of a police officer, pixmedic has a point.

I don't mind if someone is taking photos of me on the job. But do NOT get in my space to do so. The job is a dangerous one and I WOULD be irritated at someone for getting right up on me or interfering with my job.

Take your photos, but stay out of my way.

If everyone was like you, there would be no issue. You seem to be in the minority though. At least from what I've personally seen.

Yes, unfortunately I am. Too many cops are in it for the badge and gun. A rare few REALLY care about what they do.

But do NOT get in my space to do so.

That *should* go without needing to be said. Call it a simple courtesy towards your fellow man.

Common sense goes a long way. Some people just don't seem to have any though...

edit
Cop or not, common sense says that you respect the space of 'the other person'. I mean, I don't care what uniform you're wearing, I'm not going to get all in your face to take a picture.

Last edited:
But do NOT get in my space to do so.

That *should* go without needing to be said. Call it a simple courtesy towards your fellow man.

Common sense goes a long way. Some people just don't seem to have any though...

I've only ever had one photographer do it while I was working. I was on a traffic stop and the guy pulls over, BEHIND my cruiser, gets out, walks halfway up and starts taking photos.

Now, traffic stops are dangerous as hell. You never know what you're walking up on... so that one did make me mad.

I didn't arrest him (though I could have in that particular situation) but I did tell him to get back in his vehicle and wait ... and called in a second unit to talk to him.

It was explained that he should NEVER get involved in a traffic stop like that and he was sent on his way.

I've read several versions as to why the journalist was arrested and ticketed for taking the photo of an injured person at the train station, and none of them are very clear as to what happened or why. According to the media/communications person, any photographer that is working in an official capacity has to sign a waiver to be allowed to take photos in the train station, even though it is a public place, it has to do with liability. The general public are allowed to take pictures in the same train station without signing anything as they are not there in an official capacity. Shoot it with an Iphone and you're ok, show up with more than a happy snap and you have to sign a waiver, as much as it makes sense, it doesn't make any.

While I believe that the police these days do overreact in some situations, there are also situations where they have to be able to do their job without any interference from anyone. Photographers are still seen as being trouble by most people with any kind of badge, in some cases the photographers push the limit, and it reflects on all photographers. Did the journalist push the limit to see just how far he could get before pissing the wrong people off? Who knows.

The NRA is sometimes questionable, but as a gun owner I think that they do more good than harm.There are arguably better organizations to invest your money in, like the group who's name I cannot remember at the moment - a Jewish gun owners group. It's said that they have more clout in DC than the NRA. Damnit, I can't believe that I can't remember their name...

I think you mean the JFPO (Jews For the Preservation of Gun Ownership). An admirable organization in my opinion.

I also agree that the NRA does more good than most any other organization which is why I've been a long-time member and will continue to do so. As I said, I don't disagree with everything they do but they do more than most.

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of.

Yes, unfortunately I am. Too many cops are in it for the badge and gun. A rare few REALLY care about what they do.
Some are out of control as well.Not to long ago two officers where arraigned for shooting in the air outside a bar not far from where I live. I would say drinking had everything to do with this. Two New Haven police officers arraigned following shooting incident at bar- The New Haven Register - Serving New Haven, Connecticut

Really, who hasn't fired off a few guns in a bar parking lot? Kidding, on one hand, but on the other hand it happens every day and I've seen it happen plenty of times.

But, this is Texas - stuff like that is normal here...

Some are out of control as well.Not to long ago two officers where arraigned for shooting in the air outside a bar not far from where I live. I would say drinking had everything to do with this. Two New Haven police officers arraigned following shooting incident at bar- The New Haven Register - Serving New Haven, Connecticut

Oh yes, no doubt about it. There are a lot of them out of control. With the authority comes the responsibility to make the right calls and be an example to the community that you serve .. far too many don't take that to heart and I wish that wasn't the case.

In my position, I have the opportunity to do a lot of good, to help people who genuinely need help.. or to do a lot of harm and potentially put other people in danger.

I'm constantly aware of that and every action I take is considered .. can I pursue this guy down the road without killing someone going home from work? Can I use my weapon without hitting a bystander? Is this guy driving like mad because he's an ass, or does he have a real emergency and is in need of help?

Every choice I make has the potential to help or harm.. and I never want to be the reason someone gets hurt.

Really, who hasn't fired off a few guns in a bar parking lot? Kidding, on one hand, but on the other hand it happens every day and I've seen it happen plenty of times.

But, this is Texas - stuff like that is normal here...
Heck yea,I wouldn't dare walk through some ones yard in texas.:lol:

I think you mean the JFPO (Jews For the Preservation of Gun Ownership). An admirable organization in my opinion.

I also agree that the NRA does more good than most any other organization which is why I've been a long-time member and will continue to do so. As I said, I don't disagree with everything they do but they do more than most.

I'm of a different opinion. The NRA has been around for a 100 yrs and what have they done exactly? The NRA supported the first ever tax on Gun owners, sat back and watched as states like Illinois and Districts like D.C passed unConstitutional gun laws. In fact, the NRA went as far as asking Robert Levy NOT to file his case with the Supreme Court...the case later named Heller vs DC. Heller vs DC was the first case in US history where a law was over turned based on the Second Amendment and that came about by private NON NRA citizens. The NRA has a history of compromising with our gun rights. The late Chrlton Heston President of the NRA was quoted as saying he does NOT believe Americans should own an AK47 and NRA Board Member Joaquin Kjackson was quoted saying he supports the Second Amendment as long as gun magazines only hold 5 rounds.

It's not in the NRA's best interest to protect your gun rights...they wouldn't make any cash if people left our guns alone. I wouldn't piss on the NRA if they was on fire let alone give them money and I have been collecting and shooting firearms for 30yrs.

YouTube

Last edited:

Oh yes, no doubt about it. There are a lot of them out of control. With the authority comes the responsibility to make the right calls and be an example to the community that you serve .. far too many don't take that to heart and I wish that wasn't the case.

In my position, I have the opportunity to do a lot of good, to help people who genuinely need help.. or to do a lot of harm and potentially put other people in danger.

I'm constantly aware of that and every action I take is considered .. can I pursue this guy down the road without killing someone going home from work? Can I use my weapon without hitting a bystander? Is this guy driving like mad because he's an ass, or does he have a real emergency and is in need of help?

Every choice I make has the potential to help or harm.. and I never want to be the reason someone gets hurt.
Yes you have a very hard stressful job indeed.My brother is a retired officer and some of the things he seen or went through is very stressful.Lots of scum bag people and good as well.I got a general idea what its like but never will I know what police face daily nor will any one that not actually living it daily.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back