Published photographer?

KMH_86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all, if I’m commissioned by an advertising/marketing company to capture some images and then they are used to digitally advertise them for their client, would that technically make me a “published” photographer?

If I’m commissioned to capture photos of a local company who is paying for an advertisement in a golf magazine, when the ad is ran would this technically make me a published photographer?

I’m not looking to boast either way I’m just a little confused about what truly constitutes someone as being a published photographer. Thank you!

I don't know. I think it depends on (1) how you define "publish" and (2) the subsequent use of the word publish in a phrase such as, "I'm a published photographer". I feel like there's a slight nuance to the word that may be lost or misinterpreted depending on context.

Tirediron, is it simply because my photos are being distributed publically?

Waday, why does it seem like it’s a grey area and the word publish is open to interpretation?

Thanks!

If your photographs are published then you are clearly a published photographer - it doesn't mean anything else, mind.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Waday, why does it seem like it’s a grey area and the word publish is open to interpretation?
Like many things in this world (including your questions), it's not necessarily black and white. For example, I write reports for clients, and those reports are publicly available. But, I wouldn't consider myself "published" for writing those reports.

If your photographs are published then you are clearly a published photographer - it doesn't mean anything else, mind.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Above 100%, as I had a lot of my own images published in a book with some others to give to a very ill young girl.

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, that makes me a published artist. Whoo-Hoo!

Tirediron, is it simply because my photos are being distributed publically?

Thanks!
That's my take on it, yes. A more narrow ('though potentially no less correct) might be that a "published photographer" is one whose work has been published explicitly because it was his/her work; in other words: If I create images for a client who then publishes them as part of an annual report or prospectus, it doesn't count, whereas, if "Photographic Weekly" features my work because it's allegedly of a superior quality, that would count.

Now that you mention it, that makes me a published artist. Whoo-Hoo!
Exactly.

This is what I mean by nuance. Or call it the spirit of the term.

I’ve had photos featured on Instagram by Canon and a local magazine. Does that mean I’m published? To me, absolutely not. But if you have a strict definition, anyone could be published by just posting on social media. Or, make a website. Or, print out a photo and hang it up on a bulletin board.

I was once commissioned to make a drawing of a project that was published in the local paper. Got paid. Got published. Forgot about it until now.

Plus I've done some free work as well, but it happens so rarely that it hardly seems worth keeping track of.

I'm publidhed. A few of my RF stock photos have been used in blogs. I have one that was used bye a newspaper in Michigan, and one used by the BBC.

When I first started I got an award from a small penny saver magazine. I decided to include the phrase, "Award Winning Photographer" in my cards and literature. I have since gotten a few legitimate awards, but hey, it was a start.

Last edited:
Hey all, if I’m commissioned by an advertising/marketing company to capture some images and then they are used to digitally advertise them for their client, would that technically make me a “published” photographer?

If I’m commissioned to capture photos of a local company who is paying for an advertisement in a golf magazine, when the ad is ran would this technically make me a published photographer?

I’m not looking to boast either way I’m just a little confused about what truly constitutes someone as being a published photographer. Thank you!

I think when your photos appear IN PRINT, you are most definitely a "published photographer". As far as on-line...I dunno...I really do not consider on-line to be "publishing" in the traditional sense, but then perhaps I'm just old-fashioned and narrow-minded; while unappealing, those two words have been directed my way before!

Most reactions

Back