Pup high key - C & C please

CherylL

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Quincy was the same color as the concrete background. The exposure is the same as shot. I did raise the black point up a little and the lower midtones down a hair as a curve adjustment. Used Nik's Silver Efex. Too light? Not light enough? Contrast? C & C please

Quincy - high key by Cheryl, on Flickr

Hmmmm - imo needs more contrast to separate him from the background. Doesn’t really seem “bright” even though there are no dark tones.

I agree with the above sentiments. I kind of think this photo might look better if it were to be re-processed striving for more "punch!"

to me it looks a little bit low in contrast The brightness looks OK, but I think it looks a little bit washed out.

00BA1699-B921-44EE-B5C2-2CFD91D9A5BA.jpeg

?

Couple things that IMO are hurting the image. First the background being so close to fur color is causing a gray smudge of hair and background. A white background might have been a better choice. Second I know it's hard with all the hair, but eyes make the shot on dogs. Having the parts showing sharp and properly exposed would have been a nice improvement.

Quincy was the same color as the concrete background. The exposure is the same as shot. I did raise the black point up a little and the lower midtones down a hair as a curve adjustment. Used Nik's Silver Efex. Too light? Not light enough? Contrast? C & C please

Quincy - high key by Cheryl, on Flickr

I agree with squarepeg, it does need more contrast but I had a quick go too.

48620131898_b220d58477_c.jpg

Had a few mins with my coffee to look at this in Lr. In a properly exposed image the histogram will reflect data stretching from left to right (black to white) with shadows, and mid tones represented in the middle. Blacks and shadows are what create the contrast in the image. In a High Key most of the tonal range is pushed up into the lighter tones (the highlights), but that doesn't mean blow out the highlights, or delete the shadows and blacks, you still need "all" the data. IE:
article8349_1.jpg
Note there isn't much data in the blacks and shadows, but it still has some, all way from left to right.

Now, by comparison, here's the histogram from the OP
original.jpg

See the difference? You fell short on the left and right, resulting in an image without white or black.

Now lets look at your image. The first thing I note is what should be black, what should be white, and adjust accordingly. Now look what happens when we modify your image more like the first histogram example.
revised histogram.jpg
There's data all the way to the left reflecting the black I saw in the image, there's very little mid tone, which is what I'd expect to see in high key, and a lot of data loading up in the highlights. I know I've reached white, because I'm all the way to the right. Note also that the white is not blown, you don't gain anything when you blow the whites, and it's a lazy approach in a high key. Now here is the revised image.
edit-.jpg

I didn't touch the contrast or exposure setting. I did a radial filter to isolate the face and raise the exposure slightly on everything else in the image, and an adjustment brush to sharpen the eyes, and nose. Where most of the transformation took place was in the Highlights, Whites, and Blacks. With some minor adjustments to Texture, Clarity, and Dehaze. The Dehaze slider can work both ways for you. It can clear a hazy sky, but it can also add an element of haze to an image.
setting1.jpg

The only contrast adjustment was in the mild s curve.
curve.jpg

Last edited:
I like it! To add a little punch, play with clarity, dehaze, and/or texture sliders in Lr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really like the mainly white background and high key look - think it suits the subject. Perhaps take the background to pure white to give a studio look?

But yes, a bit more contrast for eyes and other features.

Here"s a crude attempt at showing what I mean ....
48620131898_b220d58477_c.jpg

Thanks everyone for the feedback! By your responses I am gaining a better understanding of high key. I will attempt this again after the next grooming to get the catch lights in his eyes and with a white background. I have a trifold white presentation board. Too reflective maybe?

@smoke665, thanks for breaking this down step by step with the histograms. I think I am confusing monotone with high key.

I think I am confusing monotone with high key.

Even a monotone will have a range of tonal values across the board. High Key's tend to be a little more difficult (at least for me) then Low Key. With a LK I meter for the highlights and let the shadows fade to black, but with HK I start out metering the shadows/blacks, and bring up the white highlights to the point of blowing. I've seen a lot of advice to bump 1-2 stops overexposed "just to be sure they're white". IMO that's a cop out and automatically assures you losing any details you might have in your whites.

Last edited:
I think the very interesting textures of the fur could be further defined. I did a very light tonemapping to better define the fur on the left side.
48625284633_1984cb9880_b.jpg

Personally, I like the OOF texture of the concrete behind the dog.

I don't think this works at all. It just looks off. I don't know what the original looks like and wonder if the exposure was off. I'd scrap this and start over from scratch from the original I think.

I don't think this works at all. It just looks off. I don't know what the original looks like and wonder if the exposure was off. I'd scrap this and start over from scratch from the original I think.

Here is the original. Raw to jpg in ACR with no adjustments. I resized for upload.
082319_35ACRsmallsize.jpg

The histogram in ACR. I see now that it doesn't go to full white.
histogramQuincy.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back