Puppy..7 months.. and new lens = fun

the new lens is the Tamron 70 300 mm... thanks for any tips..
I just picked one up. Does yours make clunky sounds? It appears to work good, just noisy and was not expecting it. Mine is the Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD. I got it for action shots mainly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The only noise I get from my Tamron 70-300 VC is the little electronic click when the VC engages. Only other noise you may hear is if the camera is having a difficult time achieving focus it can run the focus from stop to stop and you may hear the "clunk" when it hits the stops, otherwise the lens should be virtually silent. If yours is making any more noise than that I would let KEH know what is going on. They offer a 6 month warranty on used gear. If there is a problem with the lens they will either take it back and exchange it (if they have another one in the same condition) or they will send it out to Tamron for you and pay to have it fixed.

I just picked one up. Does yours make clunky sounds? It appears to work good, just noisy and was not expecting it. Mine is the Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD. I got it for action shots mainly.

The only noise I get from my Tamron 70-300 VC is the little electronic click when the VC engages. Only other noise you may hear is if the camera is having a difficult time achieving focus it can run the focus from stop to stop and you may hear the "clunk" when it hits the stops, otherwise the lens should be virtually silent. If yours is making any more noise than that I would let KEH know what is going on. They offer a 6 month warranty on used gear. If there is a problem with the lens they will either take it back and exchange it (if they have another one in the same condition) or they will send it out to Tamron for you and pay to have it fixed.
Good to know, thankyou very much

yes no noise on mine either...except as you mentioned.. but that is just an indication more then a noise.. thanks for add.

Tamron lentes are known to be noisy as f*ck :)
so far i have been happy with my tamron lens's.. as long as my photos are okay.. i am okay with a little noise.. .

Thank you so much for your constructive criticism.

Edit: You want to hear a noisy lens listen to an older Nikon 80-200 2.8 lens when it auto focuses. If you think the Tamron is noisy you'd think that my 80-200 2.8 was broken.

so far i have been happy with my tamron lens's.. as long as my photos are okay.. i am okay with a little noise.. .
I am getting one tamron 70-200 f/2.8.
I don't mind that the lens is noisy, but it's a fact...
I don't know if it's like this on every models, but the 70-200 is...
One that's also really noisy it's the 28-75mm also from tamron.
It's life. We pay less, we get more noise :)
For me it's fine, I don't mind the noise.

Cheers

Thank you so much for your constructive criticism.

Edit: You want to hear a noisy lens listen to an older Nikon 80-200 2.8 lens when it auto focuses. If you think the Tamron is noisy you'd think that my 80-200 2.8 was broken.
Or my ancient 300 f4! :lol:

I am getting one tamron 70-200 f/2.8.
I don't mind that the lens is noisy, but it's a fact...
I don't know if it's like this on every models, but the 70-200 is...
One that's also really noisy it's the 28-75mm also from tamron.
It's life. We pay less, we get more noise :)
For me it's fine, I don't mind the noise.

Cheers

I will agree with you on the 28-75 and the older 70-200 without VC being a bit noisier. Even my Tamron 17-50 2.8 with built in motor is noticeably noisier than my Nikon lenses. This was the nature of the early motors in the Tamron lenses. However Tamron in recent years has made massive advancements in their product line putting out lenses that are quieter, and faster than they've ever been. In fact many of their newer lenses rival or in a few rare cases exceed the performance of the significantly more expensive equivalents from Nikon or Canon.

I've heard some noisy lenses (my AF 80-200 2.8 push pull zoom is one of them), but even though it's noisy the shutter on my D7000 makes more noise than the lens does. People like to complain about a 3rd party lens because it's noisy or auto focus is a few milliseconds slower than the Nikon/Canon lens, because they have to justify the fact that they spent a fortune on a Nikon/Canon lens when in reality a lens at half the price would do 99.9% of what they want.

Don't go thinking that I'm a Nikon/Canon hater as I own several Nikon lenses and love them, but as I said I'm a hobbyist and do not see the need to shell out thousands of dollars when there are cheaper options that will do the same job.

i have been using the new Tamron lens now for a couple of days.. no noise.. and totally happy with easy focus.. easy smooth telephoto ability... it is a little heavy.. but i also like the feeling of substance.. my other tamron lens that has been repaired is already on its way back.. they even pay for three day window shipping.. i quess all in all.. I love tamron.... it suits me just fine..

For video this is kinda unusable.

I don't make videos with my camera, but for someone who does, this can be a problem.
My Sigma 17-50 is also noisy as f* and it's my favourite lens...

Cheers

For video this is kinda unusable.

I don't make videos with my camera, but for someone who does, this can be a problem.
My Sigma 17-50 is also noisy as f* and it's my favourite lens...

Cheers

good point.. i will have to try a few videos........wow that is noisy.. and definitely disturbing.. reminds me of the old cam camera video recorders

It doesn't matter what make of lens you're using. Full time auto focus when doing video on a D-SLR will always have constant noise as the camera shifts focus.

As I said before the early Tamron lenses with built in focus motors (5-6 years old) are much noisier than the ones of today. Recently Tamron has really stepped up their lens quality which have produced such lenses as the new 70-200 VC, the 70-300 VC, the 17-50 2.8 VC, and the 24-70 2.8 VC which among other great improvements, are all but silent in their operation compared to just a few short years ago. However although they are much quieter they will still produce noise if trying to use them with full time auto focus in video. Even Nikon's quietest AF-S lenses will make noise if allowed to auto focus during video.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back