Purchasing a large format printer.

photowilly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Guys,

Let me start by saying I know pretty much nothing about printers.

I am a landscape photographer, been shooting about 3 years. When I look back in the last year and a half at what I have spent with my local printer, about $16000.00 US, I am considering buying a printer. I would be printing on paper and canvas, and I go fairly large with my prints, say 42 by 28 on a lot of the canvas's, plus 2.5" clone plus 1.5" white on each side, so the loose canvas is 36" wide. Sometimes I go larger than that, but I would want to be able to at least get that if I purchase a printer.

Can anyone point me in any direction? Which brand do you prefer? Why? How is customer support? What kind of maintenance is involved in owning a printer? and What type of ink do I use, I don't want fading, and I don't want any problems with ink not adhering well to canvas. What paper and canvas do you use? Any idea of a estimate on what it cost per square foot to print on paper and on canvas?

Thanks

Last edited:
I would pay the small membership fee, and look into The Luminous Landscape's many articles related to large format printers and printing. This forum's probably not gonna have a lot of information. Frankly, $100 a month for printing seems like a pittance to me, compared with the costs of inks and papers, and time spent, and so on. The cost of ink has gone up pretty high. I think outsourcing the printing might be more cost-effective for manby people.

Take a look at the Oce Colorwave series. I don't know if it will print on canvas but it will print on many forms of ROLL media, I don't think it will handle sheet media though. It doesn't use ink but polymer toner "Pearls" that are about the size of a marble. The pearls come in bottles and feed automatically when needed. No drying time, the print is perfectly dry when it comes out of the printer. Ours will handle paper widths from 11" to 42" and a D+ size print (24 x 36) takes about a minute to print.

My biggest, and only complaint, about it is that it will got to sleep after a preset time (maximum is 2 hours). Once it does it takes 15 minutes to warm back up.

Thanks for the info , i just relized I had a typo, I have spent $16000.00 in the last year in a half not $1600. Thats why i am thinking of getting a printer.

How about the Epson 9800?

I have had Epson since I started printing probably 15 years ago. First one was a 1270 13" printer (that I still have, but not used in probably 5 years). Many local shops that you would walk into use the Epson's as well. Now I have only gone up to their 17" and only print on paper. So can't give you any advice on their very wide printers. I always wanted to go up to the larger 7xxx 24" series printers but for me that would be a waste of money. If your doing 10-12k a year. Your probably close to needing your own big printer. Large prints have large markups. There is more to lose if there is an error. But if your 10-12k a year budget also includes a lot of smaller prints. Buying the big printer may not quite be a money saver. There is less markup in the smaller size prints. Also to get the best price on your consumables your going to need to do large orders. If you order the smaller size packages of of paper or canvas, your going to be saving even less by printing on your own. When I lived in FL I had a friend that had a small camera shop and had an Epson wide format printer. And he said he was basically breaking even on it. If you can pass the costs of the printer and supplies thru to your customers. It might be better as you can now control the color management of the printer yourself.

I was just looking at Epson's newest printers the other day. And was considering replacing my 4880 with a P5000. The only thing I can warn you about is they need a lot of space! I have the 4880 on a table sideways and it's wider than the table it's on. And it's just a 17". The 24's and larger definitely need the stands. And access from front and rear.

I am not sure where you're located, but I have a 54" wide format Roland for sale. If you are interested and somewhat local, PM me for info.

Thanks for all the info so far! (( I am going to do a good bit more research before I purchase)) one thing I can not seem to find is , what is a approximate cost per square foot to print on canvas or paper when doingnit your self? This would really help me decide if its worth spend the money. I would say the average size I get is 24" by 36" if anyone has any info on that I would love to know. Feel free to PM me if we should not talk pricing on here.

Thanks for all the info so far! (( I am going to do a good bit more research before I purchase)) one thing I can not seem to find is , what is a approximate cost per square foot to print on canvas or paper when doingnit your self? This would really help me decide if its worth spend the money. I would say the average size I get is 24" by 36" if anyone has any info on that I would love to know. Feel free to PM me if we should not talk pricing on here.

It varies depending on many variables such as, printer type, ink type, substrate type, print quality among others. For example, my price per linear foot on my 60" HP printer is about half the cost per linear foot on my 54" Roland printer. Ink cost per liter and tech of new equipment factor into that.

Realistically, to compare cost per sf or lf, you would need to narrow it down to a few different models and then go from there.

Hi

A quick costing question for those lucky enough to own the large pro size printers from the likes of Epson, how are they on ink costs.

We know the with the consumer grade printers, the printers are often sold at a loss and they make their profits on the huge mark up on the cost of replacement ink cartridges, but with the pro grade printers they are not sold at a loss do is the ink significantly cheaper.

Just wondering

Paul

Hi

A quick costing question for those lucky enough to own the large pro size printers from the likes of Epson, how are they on ink costs.

We know the with the consumer grade printers, the printers are often sold at a loss and they make their profits on the huge mark up on the cost of replacement ink cartridges, but with the pro grade printers they are not sold at a loss do is the ink significantly cheaper.

Just wondering

Paul

Anywhere from $120-185/775ml of ink.

I use an Epson 9900 printer at work. It uses 11 inks ($134 each). Just stunning prints from this printer with BW's looking very very nice.

I use an Epson 9900 printer at work. It uses 11 inks ($134 each). Just stunning prints from this printer with BW's looking very very nice.

Any idea of a estimated average cost for say a 24" by 36" photo printed on lustre paper?

Any idea of a estimated average cost for say a 24" by 36" photo printed on lustre paper?

Ink cost is anywhere from $.75-$2.00 per sq foot depending on coverage. Paper cost can be calculated on paper purchased.
Epson has an app for this.... The Epson LFP Ink Cost Calculator App - Epson

FYI...
Cost for a customer at my work is $9.95 a sq foot on luster, glossy or matte paper. $14.95 for canvas or watercolor.
So a 24 x 36 on luster will cost $59.95.

compared with the costs of inks and papers, and time spent, and so on. The cost of ink has gone up pretty high. I think outsourcing the printing might be more cost-effective for manby people.

And don't forget you need to have equipment to calibrate the printer.

Does anyone have any experience with the Epson P9000 or P10000 ? Any reviews, thoughts or feed back?

Most reactions

Back