Purchasing a Nikon D750, good deal?

vandervr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm probably going to purchase a Nikon D750. Costco seems to have a pretty good deal but the kit doesn't seem to have the best glass. This is what the kit from costco comes with. They also have a 90 day return policy from date of purchase. Does this seem like a good deal? the kit from Adorama has better glass but the return policy isn't as good and no extended warranty. I appreciate any advice and help people could give me, I'm new to this forum.
Your Price1,599.99$
Free Shipping

Shipping & Handling: $0.00

Features:
  • AF-P 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens
  • AF-P 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G VR Lens
  • 32GB SD Memory Card, Camera Bag & Extra Battery
  • 2 Year Extended Warranty on Camera Body Only
  • Nikon DSLR Educational Online Class

I believe that the 18-55 is a crop sensor DX lens, whereas the 70-300 appears to be FX compatible. Can anybody confirm or deny these impressions?

I would not want to buy a full frame camera with DX glass.

Also, does the Nikon shutter recall affect this camera? Worth checking out.

I just picked up two bodies (for me and son) for $1500 each. Nikon has discounted them by $500 and we got the grips for free ($300 - $400 each). We already had some glass so we went body only. B&H threw in some other stuff like a battery and a case.

So far the shutter recall is only some bodies build in 2014, 2015 and 2016; Nikon has a serial number checker.

It looks like both of those lenses are DX. The 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 is FX, but the 4.5-6.3 is DX. You can use DX lenses on a D750 (I do) but you will only be shooting at 6.x MP resolution - slightly better than the D40s we upgraded. You still get the other features, though (AF points, ISO range, metering on AIs lenses . . .)

Last edited:
The D750 is an amazing full frame camera that many people are happy with. Right now i'd say the D750 is a bargain if you can get your hands on one for cheap.
If I were you, I would just try to find a used body on eBay or buy just a refurbished body from Nikon's website, and use the extra cash to get some full frame lenses. You cant go wrong with the fantastic plastic 50mm 1.8 lens that can be found for cheap used.

What kind of shooting are you wanting to do?

I just picked up two bodies (for me and son) for $1500 each. Nikon has discounted them by $500 and we got the grips for free ($300 - $400 each). We already had some glass so we went body only. B&H threw in some other stuff like a battery and a case.

So far the shutter recall is only some bodies build in 2014, 2015 and 2016; Nikon has a serial number checker.

It looks like both of those lenses are DX. The 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 is FX, but the 4.5-6.3 is DX. You can use DX lenses on a D750 (I do) but you will only be shooting at 6.x MP resolution - slightly better than the D40s we upgraded. You still get the other features, though (AF points, ISO range, metering on AIs lenses . . .)

I just looked and the price on Nikons site is $1800.00, for the body only. I also checked B&H and their price is $1796.00 for the body only. Thanks for the info on the lenses, I could always sell the one and keep the other as I plan 0n buying new lenses.

The D750 is an amazing full frame camera that many people are happy with. Right now i'd say the D750 is a bargain if you can get your hands on one for cheap.
If I were you, I would just try to find a used body on eBay or buy just a refurbished body from Nikon's website, and use the extra cash to get some full frame lenses. You cant go wrong with the fantastic plastic 50mm 1.8 lens that can be found for cheap used.

What kind of shooting are you wanting to do?

Man, being new to this forum and photography in general I can't express how much I appreciate the help and feedback. I will look into the refurbished ones for sure. My wife is pregnant and I want to take some pictures of her for our home and also of our child once its born. I figured instead of paying somebody I would start reading up on photography and shooting with an older Canon Rebel XSI that I currently have. I know the photos would be better if I paid somebody, but I think it would be cool to have photos that I've taken. I have a couple friends that our pretty good photographers that I can ask questions (to bad they don't live closer but its better than nothing) Currently I like getting outside and shooting flowers, bugs, animals, rivers, wildlife, and also taking it on trips and trying to just get creative. In addition, I want to buy a tripod and wide angle lens and go up to the top of a 14er here in Colorado and try some astrophotography.

So, this just in...I'm an idiot, and just realized the camera Costco has for sale is the D7500, not the D750 I apologize for any confusion but still appreciate the help. Nikon has a refurbished D750 on their site for $1555.95 and I think I will just buy it from them.

So, this just in...I'm an idiot, and just realized the camera Costco has for sale is the D7500, not the D750 I apologize for any confusion but still appreciate the help. Nikon has a refurbished D750 on their site for $1555.95 and I think I will just buy it from them.
The D7500 truly is a DX (crop sensor) camera so the lenses make sense now.

Outdoors/wildlife shots would be well served by such a camera. the D7500 is pretty much the venerable D500's little brother, with the same sensor. I'd google and and look into it- seems like a pretty nice rig actually. Not sure about the pricing tho...

I was about to reply that was a good deal. But yea price makes sense for D7500. Which is also a good camera. I was really tempted by 750 and the free grip offer. But I think I will keep waiting for 810 / 610 successor.

Lots of shutter problems.

Currently both of these are DX lenses...the FX-capable 70-300 AF-P was just announced. BOTH are considered the best 18-55 and the best 70-300 lenses Nikon has made so far. The AF-P VR is a better lenbs than the ADF-S VR-G that has been around 10-plus years.

Currently both of these are DX lenses...the FX-capable 70-300 AF-P was just announced. BOTH are considered the best 18-55 and the best 70-300 lenses Nikon has made so far. The AF-P VR is a better lenbs than the ADF-S VR-G that has been around 10-plus years.
That's my sense as well. Paired with the D7500 that has the same sensor as the D500- you would expect to have some pretty powerful image-making tech on your side!

Costco ?

Glad you got it figured out. A D7500 with 2 DX lenses.

As mentioned the *NEW* 70-300 FX lens isn't going to hit the shelves until the end of the month.

Love my D750 too .. no shutter problems with mine. They are restricted to certain serial number runs, which is probably the first year of them .. which is a lot of cameras.

Costco ?

Glad you got it figured out. A D7500 with 2 DX lenses.

As mentioned the *NEW* 70-300 FX lens isn't going to hit the shelves until the end of the month.

Love my D750 too .. no shutter problems with mine. They are restricted to certain serial number runs, which is probably the first year of them .. which is a lot of cameras.

The problems are not limited to the first year, just so you know, there right across the board nor are do they show up after certain shutter counts. It seems to be the luck of the draw really.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back