Putting a Nikon macro flash on a Canon camera...

Natalie

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was doing some reading a few days ago about the Canon macro flashes, and I noticed there were quite a few complaints about how the flashes will not attach to the lens if there is a filter on it. Is this true? My 100 mm macro lens is brand new, so I'm very protective of it and I don't want to take the filter off to use a flash with it.

Someone was telling me yesterday that I can use a Nikon macro flash (specifically, the twin light kind) with a Canon camera, which I what I think I will have to do if the only other option is taking the filter off. How would I go about doing this? I don't know much about camera flashes, so any info anyone has will be of great help. If I did use Nikon slave flashes, how would I get them to go off?

This is just for future reference since I'm still saving up to buy a flash, but I want to know what all my options are. Thanks in advance!

If the flash in question is Nikon dedicated DO NOT DO IT!!!.

...What would happen?
mll154.gif

Put a Nikon flash on a Canon body...

Like putting a man on a buckin' bronco...

The Canon body will try to throw the flash....lol

From what I understand (though I might be wrong since I have never tried it) the nikon flash should work but will only fire in manual mode, you won't have any auto modes functional. Further I am not sure if it is possible to mount direct to the camera - in the examples I have seen it was all offcamera flashes triggored by remotes.

As for mounting the flash to the lens I assume you are talking about either the twinlights or the ringflash options and honestly speaking the ringflash or twinlight will hit something long before it reaches the front element. I would not worry about filteres at this stage = though I am curious since I am sure I have heard of and seen people who have used a filter whilst using one of these flash setups.

You can use filters with your 100mm macro lens and either dedicated macro flash. I often use a circ polarizer on my 100/2.8 macro with the MT24-EX without issue. The ring flash and twinlight flash do not use the front filter threads to mount.

You may run into issues with other lenses when you buy the adapter to mount the flash, as the adaptor ring screws into the filter threads, but even then you could use the front threads of the filter provided it has them. Bottom line is, where ever you read/heard that you cannot use a filter is non-sense. I wouldn't use a UV/protective filter shooting macro though. defineatly not really needed.

As a side note, you can also mount the hood on the set-up as well. However if you are doing true 1:1 macro, the hood will cast a shadow on the subject. But its handy for outdoor flower shots when you are not doing true macro, but actually just close-up work.

I believe Montana is correct. A lens mounted ring flash probably uses the bayonet mount, rather than the filter threads, so you should be able to use both.

Also, I wouldn't worry so much about keeping the filter on all the time. Unless you are in a situation where something corrosive will be splashing at you, you are probably OK to take the filter off. Besides, the filter may be dragging down your image quality.

Yes Mike, it uses the bayonet mount. I wish I was at the house, but now that I think about it more I am wondering if the filter threads aren't on the flash ring itself. Regardless, I know you can use filters. Its been a few months since I used mine, but I know there are provisions to do so.

EDIT~ looking at the pictures online, I am 99% sure that the filter threads are on the "ring" that mounts on lens. Yes, now I remember it. You mount the flash on the bayonet mount, then you can screw filters onto the front of the unit. I should have remembered that as the circ polarizer was easy to turn.

Thanks for the advice everyone! This is good to know, I will stick with a Canon macro flash. When I can afford it, anyway.

My 100 mm macro lens is brand new, so I'm very protective of it and I don't want to take the filter off to use a flash with it.
What is the filter protecting the lens from?

Evil
Yeah, pretty much. :lol:

It's mainly because I'm usually shooting insects and reptiles in harsh outdoor environments... It could be foggy, there's often wind blowing around dust or sand, insects might try to jump/fly onto the lens, and defensive snakes sometimes try to strike at the lens too! Just a lot of stuff I would rather not risk touching that big, expensive blob of glass.

I use a high-quality Heliopan filter with it, so hopefully IQ won't be a problem. Additionally, I'm also thinking of switching to a polarizer in some situations to reduce reflections on the animals.

I wouldn't worry about the filter unless it is actually getting in the way. Take a couple test shots with and without just to make sure there aren't any strange imperfections with the glass in the filter. It's much easier to clean a filter than the front element of an expensive lens.

I know KmH is against filters, but he does have a point. You are mounting a very large flash ring to the front of your camera. If anything I would be worried about that.

Macro subjects have less of a tendency to fling crap into your lens, or bump you causing you to hit the camera against something hard, or be exactly 8 years old which seems to be the good ripe age for investigating clean pieces of glass with dirty fingers.

A UV filter in my opinion is a great thing for protection only until it gets in the way of the shot. Then it must come off.

What's wrong with putting a flash ring on my macro lens? Aren't they designed to be used with the 100 mm macro? Are they particularly fragile?

I think you missunderstood him is all. The flash rings are far from fragile. Relax and go buy the macro flash already......LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back