Q for Canon shooters. Next Lens?

BasilFawlty

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Question for Cannon Shooters. Assuming you have at lease one, maybe more, lens for your Canon Camera, what do you see as your next lens and why?

28-300 or 35-350 to replace my dead lens.

Poss. a 100-400.

BUT, I must rape, pillage and plunder a small NM town to do so.

28-300 or 35-350 to replace my dead lens.

Poss. a 100-400.

BUT, I must rape, pillage and plunder a small NM town to do so.

Ha! I know a little town just a bit north-ish of Albuquerque :barbershop_quartet_member:

I would absolutely love that new 100-400 L lens, but it's a bit on the pricey for me at this time (Maybe someday but I'd need to sell a couple other lenses). I've been thinking about a (used or refurbished) Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro lens. I'm pretty well covered with focal ranges from 14mm up to 600mm, but I don't have anything that would be good for Macro.

70-200mm f4 L, because I don't have one xD.

Then a 24-70mm f2.8 L, then possibly a 100-400mm then maybe a 300mm f2.8.

I've been thinking about a (used or refurbished) Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro lens. I'm pretty well covered with focal ranges from 14mm up to 600mm, but I don't have anything that would be good for Macro.

There's one in the buy and sell right now.

I'd like a 70-200mm f4 L, but would rather use that money towards a 500mm f4 L. :drool2:

I'd like a 70-200mm f4 L, but would rather use that money towards a 500mm f4 L. :drool2:

I have that lens (the non-IS version). In was the first "L" lens that I bought (not counting the 24-105 that came with my original 1st Gen 7D). The non-IS f4 is very affordable and a really great lens in most situations. I do wish mine had IS sometimes though.

I do not understand why the question.
If you are planing YOUR next lens, it should be based on what YOU need/want, NOT what someone else needs/wants.
My needs/wants may be and probably is totally different than yours.

Canon's older EF 100mm f/2.8 IF macro, the non-IS model, has a rough-looking diaphragm shape when OOF specular highlights are prominent in the shot ... you might look into the lens carefully before buying a macro telephoto. This is the Internal Focus model, or the second iteration. The first was NOT internal focusing; the third 100mm EF macro is the IS-L version.

Canon has a really nice 100mm f/2 conventional tele, which has not been popular, despite being a good lens.

If you are planing YOUR next lens, it should be based on what YOU need/want, NOT what someone else needs/wants.
with respect to you....
I have done much the same in the past.

My reason is so that I have feedback from people who have actually used it, and either reccomend or not reccomed something.

But thats me.

with respect to you....
I have done much the same in the past.

My reason is so that I have feedback from people who have actually used it, and either reccomend or not reccomed something.

But thats me.

I still don't get it.
The OP basically cast a post for respond for any lens from Ultra-wide to Ultra-tele.
If I'm looking at a 1000mm lens, and he is thinking wide or macro, then my response is not relevant at all.
At least narrow it down.
I'm looking for a macro lens, or wide lens, or . . .
Or, I am looking for help planning my lens kit. Here is what I have and what I shoot/want to shoot.​

I guess the OP was just looking for Lens talk. I see it as a perfectly natural forum behavior

If he was really looking for recommendations, perhaps he should've been more specific about what he already has.

Perhaps there will be someone who brings up a very intriguing lens. The Canon company makes a wide variety of lenses from very short to very long, both zoom and prime.

My purpose was not to solicit feedback for myself. My purpose for the question was a simple one - just to have a fun conversation with fellow board members. That's all. (I have been running a car-related forum for 20 years and we have these kinds of conversations all the time). It's just a way to get to know each other.

I really don't know what's next for a lens. I think I've finally figured out what I'm going to do camera wise so maybe a wide or widish prime? Will have to wait and see what piques my interest.

My purpose was not to solicit feedback for myself. My purpose for the question was a simple one - just to have a fun conversation with fellow board members. That's all. (I have been running a car-related forum for 20 years and we have these kinds of conversations all the time). It's just a way to get to know each other.

OK
There are so many posts asking for advice on next camera and lens, that I interpreted your post as asking for advice on your next lens.

Most reactions

Back