Quantaray or Nikkor???

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I came across a Nikon D50 that's being offered with the kit Nikkor 28 - 80mm F/3.3-5.6 G lens or a Quantaray 28-90mm F/3.3-5.6 lens. The Quantaray lens and camera come at $50 cheaper than the Nikkor though.

Can anyone recommend one over the other or give some reviews of the two?

Thanks!!

Nikkor!!!! They make the best lenses out there.

LOL I was inclined to agree but as I really don't know much about either lens (though I know Nikkor is more popular) I was hoping for some specifics. This is my first dSLR and lens so I wanted to be sure.

SeanL said:
Nikkor!!!! They make the best lenses out there.

rmh159 said:
LOL I was inclined to agree but as I really don't know much about either lens (though I know Nikkor is more popular) I was hoping for some specifics. This is my first dSLR and lens so I wanted to be sure.

Well, I haven't used any Quantary lenses yet, and the only main aftermarket lenses I have seen people use are Sigmas and Tamrons, and even then, people are still skeptical to buy anything other than Nikkor.

Nikkors have better optics and far better construction than any of the aftermarket stuff.

Not speaking of a particular lens but of the lineup in general IMHO there are only a handfull of companies whose glass can even give Nikon's a decent contest:

-Leica. Great quality, insane price.
-Contax/Zeiss. Great quality. Not insanely priced...but in need of time on the couch.
Canon. Pretty close in quality and price.

Not meant to dog anyone's favorite but these are my honest opinions from having used and/or owned all of the above...and excluding medium format because that's a whole different world.

As far as construction...I have Nikkor lenses from the 50's which work perfectly and I have never seen one wear out.

Quantaray is made by, I think, Sigma. It isn't junk but for $50.00 it is IMHO a false savings. My only non Nikkor lenses are a Sigma 400MM F5.6 and a 16MM fisheye Zenitar (Russian duplicate of a Nikkor) and I bought them because they were a pittance of the price of a Nikkor and are lengths I almost never need/use.

These lenses are in your everyday bread and butter range however and you won't regret the Nikkor. If the $50.00 is that critical I'd buy the body only and look for a used Nikkor first.

LWW

Nikkor. Hands down, there is no comparison.

That said, I even have something to say about most cheap Nikkor lenses vs. the expensive Nikkor lenses - they are like night and day, no comparison.

If it is possibly an option get it with a Nikkor 18-70mm instead, that is probably the best "kit" lens you can get. It's a good idea to get the best glass you can afford right way, you'll only end up replacing the cheaper stuff and you won't have saved anything.

Most reactions

Back