Quantum Instruments Turbo battery pack

linpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I have been using my 580 EX 11 off camera in a softbox on recent photoshoots and am loving the OCF look of my pictures. I would LOVE, LOVE to purchase a Q-Flash TTL X5DR, but I just can't afford it and all of the other items necessary to run it. SO, in the meanwhile, I need to continue using my speedlite. My question is, if I purchase a Quantum Instruments Turbo battery pack, will it significantly improve my recycle time on my Speedlite, can it potentially harm my speedlite (overheating) and can I use it later to operate my Q-Flash when I can afford to purchase it? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

It should work fine. I've used this combination (although I don't own it). It does significantly increase your recycle time/battery life.

We did overheat a 580EX I but that might have been because we had rechargeable batteries in the flash (or something like that). I believe the 580EX II has added anti-overheat technology so it's safer to use.

My Q Flash takes a special battery, quite unlike that one you show above. Remember that it is nealy impossible to transform DC from one voltage to another without complicated electronics, so the pack must be the correct voltage for both units straight from the beginning.

The Q-series takes a really big battery pack because it needs a lot of current. Mine is almost, but not quite, not worth carrying around. My wife used it for shooting in arenas because the Q-Flash was one of the few units with enough light output to do arena shooting. It worked best when she could use the granddaughter to pack the battery or let the battery sit on the bleachers.

Most reactions

Back