Question About a Couple Old Cameras

Most legitimate camera shops work in two ways:
*) Consignment. They sell the item in their shop but you retain ownership during that time. No money is exchanged until the item is sold. The camera shop will take a percentage of the sale as their fee.
*) Trade in. They take the item in exchange for cash that is given to you right there on the spot.

Unfortunately, either way a losing proposition.

Consignment=40% commission
Trade In=50% commission.

Consignment=40% commission
Trade In=50% commission.

The local shop (mentioned above) that gets most of my business is MUCH better...

Consignment is 20% for store credit and 30% for cash out. I've spent several paychecks full in that shop so the past 4 lenses I've sold they gave me 20% cash out.

Trade in is about 50% of what they think they can sell it for.. but you get the cash right away.

The local shop (mentioned above) that gets most of my business is MUCH better...

Consignment is 20% for store credit and 30% for cash out. I've spent several paychecks full in that shop so the past 4 lenses I've sold they gave me 20% cash out.

I'm moving there!... ;)

Speak to Two, or Three separate camera dealers and ask them to make you an offer for each individual camera body and lens. Don't take them to the shop with the lenses attached to the bodies.

Once you have a couple of offers on each lens and body, double it for what you can expect to get on ebay.

Ebay is the best place to sell collectable cameras provided that you list them correctly.

Dealers work to a 100% profit margin. They have to. Don't blame them for trying to rip you off. They need to make a profit, but in these days of the web and ebay you have as much access to the market, and potential buyers as they do. Better than that, if you sell honestly you'll get no negative come back.

Quality, well lit and well presented photographs count for a lot on ebay. People appreciate a good look even if it reveals a few dents and scratches. You'll be asked about mould and stuff in lenses by prospective buyers. Just answer honestly to the best of your knowledge and you'll get the best possible price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back