Question about BBF

km78

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have started experimenting with BBF and am having an issue that I hope someone here can help with. I am practicing this technique on a figurine here in my living room and when I go to recompose and take the photo nothing happens (my camera will not take the photo). I am wondering if this is happening because the figurine is too small because when I use this technique on other things (vase of flowers, a basket, etc...) it works just fine. Does anyone know why this is happening? Thanks so much!!

did you change the shutter button from focus to release?

I saw this mentioned on one tutorial I watched, however it was for a Canon and I could not find this on my camera...Nikon D3100. I am not really sure what it means or how to change it. Another tutorial I watched specifically for my camera body said to switch my camera to AF-ON which is what I did.

Last edited:
Are you holding the bbf down as you recompose?

No, I only hold it down to focus then let go, recompose and try to take the photo. I did move the figurine to a different location and it worked then.

Besides; you've got your camera set to NOT take a photo if the subject is not in focus (or if there is not enough light).

Change that setting.

Besides; you've got your camera set to NOT take a photo if the subject is not in focus (or if there is not enough light).

Change that setting.

How would I change this?

I saw this mentioned on one tutorial I watched, however it was for a Canon and I could not find this on my camera...Nikon D3100. I am not really sure what it means or how to change it. Another tutorial I watched specifically for my camera body said to switch my camera to AF-ON which is what I did.

The shutter button is still set to only fire if the focus has been acheived. If you use set the AF-L button to AF ON, but fail to change the function of teh shutter button itself, it won't allow you to activate the shutter if when camera doesn't think the image is in focus (green dot).

seems like the D3100 can't disable the option. Are you shooting in AF-C? Try AF-S. But this defeats the real benefit of BBF.

Or trying holding the shutter button down part way, BBF, recompose, then hit the shutter all the way.

This is just a simple firmware limitation that Nikon decided to exclude from the cheaper cameras for no reason. Nikon likes to spend manhours removing code from firmware because why innovate when you can rest on laurels.

Last edited:
Yes, that is simple enough that even I can do it that way.

No, I only hold it down to focus then let go, recompose and try to take the photo. I did move the figurine to a different location and it worked then.

Here's a problem too. To really get the benefit of BBF you need to move your focus point around. So think of it to doing things backwards to the way you are now. Compose the shot, move the focus point to where you want it, hold down BBF and hit the shutter (whilst still holding the BBF). This also works best in AF-C which I imagine you are in ... maybe?

I always play it safe and just keep the button held. That way it doesn't try to refocus or anythign else.

So you hold down

The shutter button is still set to only fire if the focus has been acheived. If you use set the AF-L button to AF ON, but fail to change the function of teh shutter button itself, it won't allow you to activate the shutter if when camera doesn't think the image is in focus (green dot).

seems like the D3100 can't disable the option. Are you shooting in AF-C? Try AF-S. But this defeats the real benefit of BBF.

Or trying holding the shutter button down part way, BBF, recompose, then hit the shutter all the way.

This is just a simple firmware limitation that Nikon decided to exclude from the cheaper cameras for no reason. Nikon likes to spend manhours removing code from firmware because why innovate when you can rest on laurels.

Yes, I have my camera set to AF-C but tried AF-S and it still doesn't work. I tried it the other way you mentioned and I must be doing something wrong because the photo is coming out way over exposed. Besides that, I am finding it difficult to press the shutter half way down while trying to press the BBF button at the same time. I am sure this takes practice but is it worth it to shoot this way rather than the focus and recompose method since my camera is cheaper and will not allow me to do it the right way?

Here's a problem too. To really get the benefit of BBF you need to move your focus point around. So think of it to doing things backwards to the way you are now. Compose the shot, move the focus point to where you want it, hold down BBF and hit the shutter (whilst still holding the BBF). This also works best in AF-C which I imagine you are in ... maybe?

Okay now I am really confused because I though that one of the benefits of using BBF is so that you would not have to worry about moving the focus points. Right now, I have my focus point set on the middle. I focus on my subject using that middle focus point, press the BFF button and then recompose. I obviously need to learn about BFF some more, but now I am starting to think that I should just forget it altogether now that I know that my camera will not allow me to shoot this way.

You don't have to half press the shutter if using BBF.

true on most cameras, but Nikon decided to strip out the ability to change the shutter to "release" on the D3100. Because they decided that entry-level cameras should also have entry-level features -- instead of just leaving in the code and marketing the robust feature set of even entry-level cameras.

So yeah, you can change the BB to "AF ON" but the shutter button itself is still going to wait for focus. So if you hold the BBF, then recompose and try to fire, it's not going to work (itll probably just try to focus again).

Using AF-Lock might work better for your needs. you can focus, hit AF-Lock, then recompose and shoot. But the use BBF as it should be used with AF ON doesnt seem to be an option for D3100 owners.

...and I must be doing something wrong because the photo is coming out way over exposed...

Metering has changed.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back