Question about bird shot with Nikon 70-200 f/2.8

Submariner1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm usually not into bird shots but I wanted to see if I could capture one of the resident hummingbirds with the D850 and 70-200 f/2.8. I was about 12 feet away from the bird, shot in RAW with a very high ISO and shutterspeed. This is a cropped image at nearly 100%. Since I don't own a printer, I send out my photos for printing and I'm wondering if this image would even have enough resolution to be printed OK at 8 X 10. I realize much is lost when cropping in so much but wanted to get some thoughts.
HB1 1-5000-2 (1).jpg

I think it will make an acceptable 8 x 10 inch print. If possible I would possibly use the dehaze slider or if you do not have that, boost the clarity.

Wow! How did you manage to get 12 feet away from a Hummingbird and not spook it? Very nice picture to say the least. It's not very often that you see a Hummingbird with it's wings in place. What shutter speed did you use?

Thank you,

Lonnie

I've taken lots of hummingbird shots and I think you did a good job.

Wow! How did you manage to get 12 feet away from a Hummingbird and not spook it? Very nice picture to say the least. It's not very often that you see a Hummingbird with it's wings in place. What shutter speed did you use?

Thank you,

Lonnie

Getting close to hummingbirds isn't too hard if you sit fairly still. The key is to find a spot to shoot from and plant yourself there, it just takes a little forethought about lighting and background to get a good spot. It also helps to keep the camera up to your eye, sometimes just bringing your camera up will spook them but that also goes for other birds, too.

In shots that I have where the wings look "frozen", the shutter speed and 1/2000. But lower speeds can create some nice blurred effects.

Wow! How did you manage to get 12 feet away from a Hummingbird and not spook it?
The trick with hummingbirds (and maybe others) is to let them come to you. I once had a hummer come to take a sip of my beer sitting on the table right in front of me. (one foot from me)

Thank you,

Lonnie
Hi Lonnie,
I was sitting in my yard trying to take pictures of a PIA dragonfly and my camera luckily was set to 1/5000 of a second, f/2.8, ISO 640, continuous focus setting and FPS set to high. When the bird flew up I just shot away and got lucky. It takes a lot of patience and I try to keep the feeder clean and with new sugar water every 5 days. Thanks for your comment.

If you have at least a 3,000 X 2,400 resolution left you should get a really good 8 X 10 print.

2,400 X 1,920 should be a good minimum resolution for that sized print.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back