Question about camera stores.

Netskimmer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will be buying a Nikkor 70-200 2.8G VR II in the next week or so and in my research I came across an issue refereed too as 'flaking.' Basically the material on the inside of the barrel looks as though it is flaking off. No one has reported it impacting image quality and Nikon says it doesn't but I would still like to avoid getting a lens with this issue.

If I need to travel to a store and buy the lens then so be it but the taxes and gas would make this expensive, I live nowhere near a physical camera store except for a Ritz about 90 minutes away but they do not have the lens in stock. If I were to call Adorama or B&H and specifically ask them to make sure the lens I get does not have this issue will or can they guarantee it? More importantly, will they say 'yeah sure, we'll check it out before we ship it' just to make the sale? I've have read good things about their customer service but I was wanting to get input from people who have shopped with them directly. I know I could always return the lens but since the manufacturer considers this a non-issue I would probably have to pay for return shipping, then wait for the replacement and hope it doesn't have it as well.

Why not just call them? :-/

In the time you posted this message... you may have had your answer. WIth the exception of two members who specifically represent BH and Adorama here on the TPF, no one can make a guarantee on behalf of either.

It was 5 am when I posted the question so I couldn't call them. I wasn't asking if someone here would guarantee it, I was asking if anyone here knew if they would guarantee it.

I've heard they both have excellent CS. Just call :D

I guess I'm just nervouse, I don't commonly spend this kind of money on something sight-unseen. :D

I think they both have return policies right?

I forget the B&H persons name, but View Profile: HelenOster - Photography Forum & Digital Photography Forum is the contact for Adaorama. Send her a pm or use the email she lists in her signature for queries, she's normally very helpful and quick to respond.

Asides which you should have distance selling protections and both B&H and Adorama have good returns policies as well - so even if something goes wrong you should be more than protected and able to resolve the issue.

Thanks for the info. I will get in contact with one if them early next week. I have to be at work in like 45 minutes and won't be home until Saturday mourning it will have to wait until next week.

I deal with Unique Photo in NJ all the time. They're great people there. I live close by and stop in regularly. Everyone there is extremely knowledgable and will answer any questions you have or will find someone who can. Check them out www.uniquephoto.com

Will do. Well, I'm off to work. Talk to you guys later.

I forget the B&H persons name, but View Profile: HelenOster - Photography Forum & Digital Photography Forum is the contact for Adaorama. Send her a pm or use the email she lists in her signature for queries, she's normally very helpful and quick to respond.

Asides which you should have distance selling protections and both B&H and Adorama have good returns policies as well - so even if something goes wrong you should be more than protected and able to resolve the issue.
Henry Posner at B&H. Henry Posner | LinkedIn

I deal with Unique Photo in NJ all the time. They're great people there. I live close by and stop in regularly. Everyone there is extremely knowledgable and will answer any questions you have or will find someone who can. Check them out Unique Photo | Unique Photo - New Jerseys Camera and Video superstore.....Cameras, Film, Photography, Video Cameras, Accessories and more for less! | uniquephoto.com

Second them too... I live nearby as well.

Only complaint.... they seem perpetually out of stock on many items. Strange for such a large warehouse.

Adorama was just great about my return. I called customer service, explained why I was returning the Nikon tubes. All they asked me for was the invoice number, which I gave them. They then emailed me a UPS return label and a return form. They paid all UPS charges as well. Just can't ask for better service then that. I also deal person to person with Cameta Camera as I live 30 min from them. Great service, and their return policy is just as good.

Helen is the go to CS person for Adorama.

If I were to call Adorama or B&H and specifically ask them to make sure the lens I get does not have this issue will or can they guarantee it?
Our offices are in Manhattan; our warehouse in Brooklyn. The people here knowledgeable enough you'd want one to inspect your lens don't have physical access to it and the warehouse people, good as they are at what they do, don't have the knowledge or experience. In addition we're very reluctant to open and inspect new merchandise before shipping. First, it's prohibitively expensive in time and money. Second, people prefer new merchandise to be new and untouched to the extent possible. Third, if we did and subsequently there was a warranty issue the argument could be made the problem happened as a result of our handling. You and we both would prefer to avoid that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back