Question about lenses

fred0000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
fred80.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a kit off of ebay for 2 lenses at an amazing price, mainly just wanted the one but couldent say no to the deal, so my question is, do i need all these lenses.
-AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105MM F/3.5-5.6G ED VR (came with D90)
-Tamron 75-300 AF f/4-5.6 (this was the lense I was after on purchase)
-Sigma 18-50mm f3.5-5.6 DC HSM (this is the lense that "came with" the tamron)
(a bit OT, but to buy the one lense I wanted was only like $5 CAD less then buying the 2 together so I call one a "freebie", both were brand new)

my qestion is would it be worth keeping them all? i'm in no pinch for cash but I was almost thinkign that I would not need the Sigma 18-50mm since the nikkor 18-105mm covers that zoom range? and I could sell it, but maybe its worth while having all 3, maybe someone has some advice, thank you.

Last edited:
I would probably sell the 18-50; your 18-105 covers more range and both are the same speed. Assuming that quality of each lens is about the same, I would sell the 18-50, and put that cash towards your next lens, what ever that may be.

Thank you for the fast replies, so 1 saying sell and 1 saying keep?, I was thinking of keeping it and using it as my "walk about lense" but it doesent seem like enough zoom for me? I really like how portable it makes the camera, the reason I was asking in the 1st place is cause I could sell the one lense for waht I paid for both of them. thank you guys.

My walk-around lens is either a 17-50, or a 30mm prime, so its really whatever fits your style. Try using them for a while and see if you find any pros and cons to each one. One might have a better range but the other may have faster autofocus, biuld quality may be different, etc... I you find that you like one much more than the other, than sell one and reinvest the money in new gear. I you find yourself using both, than keep em in your bag and be happy.

overlap in focal lengths can be a good thing, it ads versatility and choices in different situations. I don't have any overlaps with my zoom lenses, but I do have primes within the same range, and I use both often, it just depends on the situation and my creative choices.

Edit: I just noticed that you said "you are in no pinch for cash" so just keep both at least for a while, if you find one collecting dust for a several months then consider selling, but there are plenty of people who have dozens of lenses in the same focal length (like Battou :D)

Edit: I just noticed that you said "you are in no pinch for cash" so just keep both at least for a while, if you find one collecting dust for a several months then consider selling, but there are plenty of people who have dozens of lenses in the same focal length (like Battou :D)

:lmao: I can't deny that. I have a 135mm prime lens for every occation :lmao:

*EDIT*
  • Canon FD 135mm 3.5
  • Canon FD 135mm 2.5
  • Sakar 135mm 2.8 (C/FD)
  • Canon FL 135mm 3.5
  • Focal 135mm 2.8 (M/MD)
  • Vivitar 135mm 2.8 (M-42)

Last edited:
It's would be hard for me to live without prime lenses, but I would consider the optics of each lens before determining if I would sell one. The best investments you can make in photography are in the glass because the lenses actually retain their value. The sigma 18-50 should be let go though, in my humble opinion. I love Nikon glass.

Thank you all ofr the responses and advice, greatly apreciated, I have the lense advertised online and if i get bites for it awesome, if not i can keep it, My girlfriend is considering a nikon DSLR and it would be nice to have some stuff to pass on to her so she can get a headstart, I will try it as my walk around lense. see how that goes

i wish i had a d90

i wish i had a D3X

I think I have decided to just get rid of it, while its still basicly brand new and in the box. I tested it against the 18-105 and the 18-105 takes a bit wider angle picture, and that zoom range will be more convieniant and the VR for a walk about lense will be nice, I thank you all for the help. and everytime i do go out, if i have to take one lense, the nikkor 18-105 is always the one.

thanks again

How is it wider? They are both 18.

How is it wider? They are both 18.

I am aware of this, i put the camera on a tripod and took the same photo with each lense and the 18-105mm showed more crap then the 18-50mm did, if that makes sence. It may have been user error and it not even be possible, but even if i were wrong, its all good.

My girlfriend is considering a nikon DSLR and it would be nice to have some stuff to pass on to her so she can get a headstart,

I know the feeling, My GF wanted to learn about Photography so I bought her an AE-1, Now she has access to almost all of my Canon mount lenses and accesseries, she needs only ask, she currently has my Gemini 80-200 F/4.5. :thumbup:

I know the feeling, My GF wanted to learn about Photography so I bought her an AE-1, Now she has access to almost all of my Canon mount lenses and accesseries, she needs only ask, she currently has my Gemini 80-200 F/4.5. :thumbup:

thats awesome, its great when you both have the same hobbies, i prefer to use one of my older film cameras if we go out, so theres no real rush to get another digital SLR, sinced we just share it, its only sometimes a PITA when i want to use it, haha, she has no interest in trying the film cameras. when it comes to lenses though, me being new to film, i'd rather buy the better gear for my digital, alows for more trial and error :p

very nice colectiion battou, one of my newer cameras is a Canon, still havent tried it, its a Canon FTb, with a 50mm 1:1.8 (only lense for it i have) cant wait to try it out

edit: getting a bit OT, this thread could probably be left to die :p

Most reactions

Back