Question About People Taking Pictures of You

Admittedly, I actually made quite a scene over it - The manager got involved, two other women who were around his age witnessed what happened and were confronting him as well and they were saying it's against the law, which lead me to find out whether it's legal or not. The manager asked the man to pay for his drinks and leave the premises of the hotel.

Confronted? Then a threat to have the "boyfriend" take care of him?

Maybe YOU should have left the bar and found someplace else to drink. Is the legal drinking age 19 in Canada? How do you get into a bar at 19?

A few points to consider:

1- While everyone has a different tolerance for being embarrased and uncomfortable, and good on you for deciding to say something, the way it was handled IMO was wrong. Jumping to conclusions. You said that "he wasnt a real photographer". So if he was a real one, would you still of been a b_itch? How do you know he's a real one? And dont do the "he was using an iphone" as people are making awesome artistic shots with iphones and Creative Live did a whole segment on iphoneography.

2- images that are deleted and cards that are formatted can very very easily have their images retrieved. I've done it before, after someone b_itched about me taking their photo... and they were so tiny in the frame, couldnt see them.

3- I take pictures of ugly people just as much as pretty people. So thinking that it's flattery that her picture is being taken is probably misleading

4- If they were upskirt shots, please post them here so we can...uh....critique them.

3- I take pictures of ugly people just as much as pretty people. So thinking that it's flattery that her picture is being taken is probably misleading

True.

Allow me to refrain.

"He found something about you at the very LEAST, mildly interesting."

Is that an appropriate description, Pierre? :lol:

vixxen said:
As for PROOF that he was taking a picture of ME - I saw the picture of ME on his phone. It's simple as that. I just don't go around assuming everyone with cameras are taking pictures of me.

I don't need people to feel "sorry" for me, that was not the original purpose of my post, but I simply asked if it was legal or not and I now have my question answered.

Because I don't feel comfortable at the fact a man is taking pictures of me - I'm in the wrong for that? Who's to say how am I suppose to feel?

Sure, you wouldn't have mind but as human beings, we're all different. People have different comfort levels in regards to certain things. I'm not trying to argue with anyone here and all of sudden, I feel like I'm being attacked in a forum I signed up to one hour ago - That's ridiculous. I asked a simple question with no intentions for it to become argumentative.

I simply confronted him and made it clear that I don't want him taking pictures of me and the manager came over to ask what happened. The manager and staff CHOSE to ask him to leave the place, NOT ME. I simply wanted him to stop taking pictures of me and to delete the picture he took of me. Don't twist the situation and make up assumptions when you don't know what happened.

If you've had your question answered, then why are you still here?

Also just to point out, you yourself said that you didn't "simply" confront him, you made a scene. If I were the manager I would have kicked you out.

Better get over it, as you say it's happened before and it will most likely happen again.

And dang, it's a good thing he deleted the image from his camera. It's not like you really knew he deleted it, or wait... it gets even better that he could delete it and then recover it from his memory card later and now that you really pissed him off it can be plastered all over the place. Hope the bar didn't have a Facebook page that you "liked" because now he knows where to put the picture and comments about your lovely demeanor when you approached him.
And your story loses some of the credibility as it changes... first you are worried about the camera he whipped out and then you saw the picture on his phone??

Ohh, and your actions sound very close to commiting assault given the definition of it... especially the implied threat of waiting for your boyfriend to arrive and take care of it.

"In law, assault is a crime causing a victim to fear violence. The term is often confused with battery, which involves physical contact. The specific meaning of assault varies between countries, but can refer to an act that causes another to apprehend immediate and personal violence, or in the more limited sense of a threat of violence caused by an immediate show of force. "

Other people got involved cause they WITNESSED what happened and decided out of their own will to jump in and have their input and say in it.

The manager came over cause he was overseeing the place and saw that I looked visibly upset. I couldn't help but be upset since I was planning to have a low-key evening. I wasn't anticipating someone would take my picture while I'm trying to relax and have a drink - Why do you think celebrities flip off papprazzis? I'm not implying I think I am some kind of "importance" like a celebrity, but I would think people would have some understanding that it would be a nuisance to ANY person. I actually find it strange when people do feel compelled to take pictures of me...I'm just an ordinary person. I guess that's why I was on guard and felt shaken up by it cause I don't anticipate or expect this type of thing to happen...

It wasn't even my intention to "humiliate" him, he was actually grinning the entire time like he thought the whole thing was funny. I'm actually a very shy person (sort of explains why I don't like getting my picture being taken! heh) so I actually had to muster up the courage to confront him. I simply wanted to make it known to him that I didn't want him taking my picture. I don't have control over the facial expressions I made, so if I looked really upset, I couldn't help it?

All I can say is it wasn't my intention to make anyone feel bad, I honestly didn't come in here to share this "story" and make other photographers mad. I came in here since I thought it would be a good place to get a solid answer to my question. And I was right, except I have people jumping at me and making up all sorts of assumptions. Why are you guys so argumentative? I'm only a stranger on the internet - If you got to know me in person, you would see that I'm not someone who tries to get strangers in trouble or kicked out of bars.

I'm only human and can only learn from my experiences. Next time someone takes a picture of me, I'll react in a more positive "calmer" way. Maybe I'll even pose for them! :mrgreen:

Admittedly, I actually made quite a scene over it - The manager got involved, two other women who were around his age witnessed what happened and were confronting him as well and they were saying it's against the law, which lead me to find out whether it's legal or not. The manager asked the man to pay for his drinks and leave the premises of the hotel.

Confronted? Then a threat to have the "boyfriend" take care of him?

Maybe YOU should have left the bar and found someplace else to drink. Is the legal drinking age 19 in Canada? How do you get into a bar at 19?

I made a joke about waiting for my boyfriend to come and take care of him lol....Unfortunately there's no tone in text so I guess you misinterpreted me.

The legal drinking age in Canada is 19. I'm starting to hate bars anyway, so yes, maybe next time I'll just stay home instead and share a bottle of wine with my boyfriend. No drama. No problems.

Did you even ask to see the photos first???? Maybe he took a beautiful exposure of you. Maybe he was a professional having a drink at the bar. Maybe he was a perv. Who knows.

If you had asked to see the photo, it may have been a very nice photo of you, and if the person in question was a pro you may have a nice 8x10 print on your computer desk next to you as you type right now.

Just curious why you felt so offended from having your photo taken? What do you think he could've possibly done with it? Don't you think if he had bad intentions that he'd be more sneaky about it? I don't get these kinds of reactions to a simple photo...

Just curious why you felt so offended from having your photo taken? What do you think he could've possibly done with it? Don't you think if he had bad intentions that he'd be more sneaky about it? I don't get these kinds of reactions to a simple photo...
Because somehow, for some reason, everyone with a camera is now a terrorist or a perv...........

True.

Allow me to refrain.

"He found something about you at the very LEAST, mildly interesting."

Is that an appropriate description, Pierre? :lol:

EDIT:

**RePHRASE!

Jeez.

Get more than 2.5 hours a sleep kids.

It's more healthy for your brain. :biglaugh:

Other people got involved cause they WITNESSED what happened and decided out of their own will to jump in and have their input and say in it.

The manager came over cause he was overseeing the place and saw that I looked visibly upset. I couldn't help but be upset since I was planning to have a low-key evening. I wasn't anticipating someone would take my picture while I'm trying to relax and have a drink - Why do you think celebrities flip off papprazzis? I'm not implying I think I am some kind of "importance" like a celebrity, but I would think people would have some understanding that it would be a nuisance to ANY person. I actually find it strange when people do feel compelled to take pictures of me...I'm just an ordinary person. I guess that's why I was on guard and felt shaken up by it cause I don't anticipate or expect this type of thing to happen...

It wasn't even my intention to "humiliate" him, he was actually grinning the entire time like he thought the whole thing was funny. I'm actually a very shy person (sort of explains why I don't like getting my picture being taken! heh) so I actually had to muster up the courage to confront him. I simply wanted to make it known to him that I didn't want him taking my picture. I don't have control over the facial expressions I made, so if I looked really upset, I couldn't help it?

All I can say is it wasn't my intention to make anyone feel bad, I honestly didn't come in here to share this "story" and make other photographers mad. I came in here since I thought it would be a good place to get a solid answer to my question. And I was right, except I have people jumping at me and making up all sorts of assumptions. Why are you guys so argumentative? I'm only a stranger on the internet - If you got to know me in person, you would see that I'm not someone who tries to get strangers in trouble or kicked out of bars.

I'm only human and can only learn from my experiences. Next time someone takes a picture of me, I'll react in a more positive "calmer" way. Maybe I'll even pose for them! :mrgreen:

This story gets better by the minute, not to mention how the facts keep changing.
"Other people got involved cause they WITNESSED what happened" because YOU made a big scene.
You were "visibly upset" because someone took your picture? Wow, I couldnt imaging how terrible it would be for you is someone whistled at you.
And, you are "actually a very shy person", yet you marched right over to a total stranger, whom you felt may be some sort of perv or dirty old man, and "DEMANDED" that he delete HIS pictures

Is it just me, or does this whole story seem a bit over the top, or maybe a tad fictition?

Last edited:
D R A M A.

Q U E E N.

By the way is 19 yrs old a legal age to be hanging out in a hotel bar/pub in Canada?

Most reactions

Back