Question About People Taking Pictures of You

I don’t think there is going to be any sympathy here. Probably at least half of the people on this forum have taken plenty “sidewalk shots”. I hope I never run into one like this.

I've taken lots of random shots like this, and got yelled at once, by a grumpy older dude... All I have to say is you can not have a 6 inch long grey beard, and wear a shirt that says "ruggedly handsome", and expect not to have your photo taken. I did end up deleting the photo just because he was a **** about the whole thing and I wanted him to shut up and leave me alone.

Am I the only one amazed that the OP put this in the appropriate section?

I think so.

I'm frankly amazed that the OP participated in the discussion for as long as she has.

D R A M A.

Q U E E N.

By the way is 19 yrs old a legal age to be hanging out in a hotel bar/pub in Canada?

18 here in Quebec, 19 in most of the rest of Canada.
Except the aboriginal communities, where its probably 13

I hope this question is okay to post here! I was at a pub/bar type of place located in a hotel over the weekend. While I was sitting by myself and having a drink, I noticed a guy across the bar with his camera out and then blinded me with the flash. It made me mad cause this isn't the first time this type of thing to happen. I immediately went over to him and demanded that he deletes my picture and I made it clear I don't want my picture to be taken.

I live in Toronto, Canada and I'm wondering if this is OK for people to do within a private type of establishment without asking for my permission or is it still considered "public"? I want to know for the next time, some creep decides to whip out his camera and take pictures of me :grumpy:.

In the USA you may photograph anything or anybody in a public place or at a public event. HOWEVER if you wish to use the images commercially use must have the permission of the person photographed or,in the case of property, the permission of the owner or manager.
I spend more time getting permission than I do making images.

I have to say, I'm disappointed this fizzled out so quickly.

First one I have been involved in for a long time and it's only a 4-pager.

I'm disappointed in you guys. :waiting:

I hope the OP comes back.. I want to find out what she's so afraid of.

I think a point that is being missed here is that we are all looking at this from the point of view [naturally enough] of photographers. To someone who isn't concerned about taking pictures, I can easily see where the OP felt this as a violation of her privacy. Did she over-react? Perhaps to our way of thinking, BUT as Jane Q. Public alone in a bar having a quiet drink, I'm not sure that her reaction was so out of line.

wait, I'm confused...was it a camera or a phone? You said you saw the picture on his phone? SO he's snapping away, from across the bar (most bars I know are pretty dark) and managed to get a clear shot on hs phone...

What kind of phone was it, I need one of those!

I think a point that is being missed here is that we are all looking at this from the point of view [naturally enough] of photographers. To someone who isn't concerned about taking pictures, I can easily see where the OP felt this as a violation of her privacy. Did she over-react? Perhaps to our way of thinking, BUT as Jane Q. Public alone in a bar having a quiet drink, I'm not sure that her reaction was so out of line.

Meh.. I disagree. It's just a photo from across the bar in a public environment. Her privacy was not violated. People are just way too sensitive these days over nothing.

Meh.. I disagree. It's just a photo from across the bar in a public environment. Her privacy was not violated. People are just way too sensitive these days over nothing.
I'm not sure how you can make such a statement. Most of privacy is personal perception. While in the same situation you might not feel your privacy was violated, the OP clearly has a different perception, to which she is entitled.

Personally, I feel that privacy laws are too lax. An individual should have the right to control their taking of a photograph in situations like this. Why should we as photographers have a right to take the photograph of someone who clearly doesn't want to be photographed? Really, how much effort does it take to ask someone if they mind having their photograph taken?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back