Question about RB67 Film Advance

snark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought an RB67 Pro. My first test roll ran through it with no problem. Then I reloaded and the film advance seemed tight. I applied some more pressure and it broke free when the backing paper tore in two. I tried again with a third roll, same thing. Fourth roll (this is getting really tedious), everything worked slick again. I did nothing different, or at least I don't think I did. Anyone had this happen? Might I have a defective back? It looked like the paper backing started to jam on the top side about halfway to the start of the film, got all bunched up and ripped diagonally.

I just bought an RB67 Pro. My first test roll ran through it with no problem. Then I reloaded and the film advance seemed tight. I applied some more pressure and it broke free when the backing paper tore in two. I tried again with a third roll, same thing. Fourth roll (this is getting really tedious), everything worked slick again. I did nothing different, or at least I don't think I did. Anyone had this happen? Might I have a defective back? It looked like the paper backing started to jam on the top side about halfway to the start of the film, got all bunched up and ripped diagonally.

The only time this hit me was with a roll of Chinese-made Lucky b&w, the stuff with the tar paper-thick backing paper. I can only think it may be your loading technique? Are you making sure there's no slack in the film once you hit the start mark and put the insert into the outer shell? I keep light thumb pressure on the feed roll as I wind on to keep the film snug. Not a good idea to put that much muscle on the advance lever since you can bust more than the film. You may need a new back if the problem persists. Some of these have seen lots of action.

Thanks, cgw. I've been out of state and (mercifully) away from a computer for a couple months so I just now saw your reply to my question. Close inspection revealed the camera back is, in fact, defective. One of the film rollers was missing and the paper backing was hanging up on the clip that the roller is supposed to fit into. Of course no such parts are available any more, so I ordered some 2.35mm brass tubing from a hobby shop supplier and I am going to try to make my own roller with that and a piece of stiff wire.

Thanks, cgw. I've been out of state and (mercifully) away from a computer for a couple months so I just now saw your reply to my question. Close inspection revealed the camera back is, in fact, defective. One of the film rollers was missing and the paper backing was hanging up on the clip that the roller is supposed to fit into. Of course no such parts are available any more, so I ordered some 2.35mm brass tubing from a hobby shop supplier and I am going to try to make my own roller with that and a piece of stiff wire.

Unless it's really necessary, I'd try to find another 120 back rather than attempt a DIY fix.

Snark,
I'm sure I probably have one or two parts backs, shoot me a pm with your info. In fact, I likely have a pro (non S) back or two I'd sell reasonably.

Make sure when you put a roll of film in the back to remove the sticker label at the start of the roll or it will do exactly what you describe.

Erie.. how are you brother? .

As well as can be expected, caring for an 81 year old aunt (pronounced in the proper New England drawl, of course....) who has dementia living with you reminds me how glad I was when the kids moved out...I'm just too old for this crap.

I really do need to get out and shoot more.

It's kinda nice using the scan back on the RB, 6k x6k image... :)

As well as can be expected, caring for an 81 year old aunt (pronounced in the proper New England drawl, of course....) who has dementia living with you reminds me how glad I was when the kids moved out...I'm just too old for this crap.

I really do need to get out and shoot more.

It's kinda nice using the scan back on the RB, 6k x6k image... :)

Thoughts and prayers, man. Not too many could or would.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back