Question about Shutterspeed.

Felix0890

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been looking at some shots that include shutter speeds of 1950/1 sec (32 mins). Do only pro-level cameras include this long shutter speed? Is there anything that I can do with my 450D to achieve similar effects?

Here's an example.

It's achieved using "bulb" mode on the camera. This allows you to control when the shutter opens and when it closes (and therefore, the ability for really long exposure times). Obviously a tripod is necessary, and it's usually done with a remote rather than your finger on the button.

Duh! I completely forgot about bulb exposure. Do remotes bring a "hold" button or will I have to set a rock on the remote's button for 30+ minutes? :lol:

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Duh! I completely forgot about bulb exposure. Do remotes bring a "hold" button or will I have to set a rock on the remote's button for 30+ minutes? :lol:

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

I would assume its a press on for open press off for close affair.

Most of the better remotes have a 'Bulb' function incorporated, but REMEMBER, your camera's sensor may well not like being active that long. Do some research, and find out what the maximum recommended exposure times are, or you will risk sensor damage. Also bear in mind that the longer the sensor is on, the more noise there will be in the image. This is one of the increasingly few areas where film is still much superior to digital (reciprocity affect aside).

Ahh ok. I shall have to buy one soon then. Thanks to you both for the useful information. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back