Question: Canon Rebel & Speedlite

olderthanyoda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi There! New here, so hope I'm posting in the correct spot.

I have a Canon Rebel T5 and I just received a Godox TT600 Speedlite with Godox X1T trigger. It's my first time using a speedlite, so I'm struggling to understand how to make them work for off camera flash photography (I have the shoot through umbrella with the stand and all).

I have both speedlite and trigger set to the same channel and same settings, but after many attempts, still cannot get it to trigger the flash (which is on the stand with the shoot through umbrella) when I snap a photo. If I mount it onto the camera, it works, but it's supposed to be able to function for off camera as well. Can someone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks for your time!

See if the umbrella is affecting the triggering. Remove the umbrella, but put the flash on the light stand, and test-fire. See if it is a line of sight issue, in which maybe the orientation of the flash unit's RECEIVER or "eye", is affected by the way it is aimed when being used with a shoot-through umbrella.

(Basically camera at 15 feet, flash at 10 feet in front, but the "receiver" not quite being able to 'catch" or "See" the triggering beam the transmitter on the camera is firing forward.)

See if the flash unit WILL fire, when on the light stand, and the flash tube pointed toward the camera and trigger. It is possible that the way you';been testing that the "receiver" or "eye" cannot see the beam emanating from the triggering unit, in what is called a "line of sight failure".

Also, not quite sure of the distances involved here...in reallllllly small places, the transmitter might not have a wide enough emitting angle to be "caught" by a flash unit that is aimed "just so".

Okay....just looked it up: Godox TT600 Speedlite, on Amazon.

Looks to me that the "eye" or receiver is most likely under the red panel, on the front of the flash. So, used in normal orientation, with camera and transmitter BEHIND the flash and umbrella, it likely would have the signal blocked.

My suggestion: rotate the flash head 180 DEGREES, and mount the flash "BACKWARDS", so the red panel faces YOU AND YOUR CAMERA.

Most reactions

Back