Question for 40D or 5D owners

MarcusM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I was at Costco yesterday and I was looking at their cameras. They only had Nikon DSLRs out on the floor for some reason. Anyway, I was just curious so I was playing with the Nikon D70. I noticed right away that the shutter button was so loose and barely had to press down to release the shutter.
(You're probably asking, what does this have to do with the Canon 40D or 5D? - I'll get to that)

As I was taking some test shots, I noticed how still I was able to hold the camera while depressing the shutter button. It is so much easier to press than my Canon 300D.

I'm wondering, are the 40D and 5D this smooth? Unfortunately when looking at them at the camera shop I didn't take any test shots (yea, dumb)

If so, then I am thinking this will solve a lot of my problem I've been having with blurry shots. I know that it's almost impossible for me to press the shutter on my 300D without the whole camera moving!!! And I have pretty steady hands. This will give me 1-1.5 extra stops handholding I would think.

If that's the case then now I'm really excited to get a new camera - I could not believe how easy the shutter was to press on the D70!!!!

I'd love to hear feedback from anyone on this, but more specifically 40D or 5D owners!

Are you asking about the stiffness of the shutter button...or is this more of an ergonomics (size & shape) issue?

I think that the ergonomics of a camera will affect how easy it is to press the release.

Are you asking about the stiffness of the shutter button...or is this more of an ergonomics (size & shape) issue?

I think that the ergonomics of a camera will affect how easy it is to press the release.

Ok, that makes sense.

But I was asking specifically about the stiffness of the shutter button. Do you know if the button on the 40D is pretty loose? The 300D is really stiff.

I don't know...sorry. My 20Ds are pretty easy. I usually have it set to continuous mode, even though I usually only shoot one at a time. On the odd time that I give the camera to someone else to shoot...they usually fire off 5 shots before they know what is going on...so I wouldn't think that it's a stiff button.

I don't know...sorry. My 20Ds are pretty easy. I usually have it set to continuous mode, even though I usually only shoot one at a time. On the odd time that I give the camera to someone else to shoot...they usually fire off 5 shots before they know what is going on...so I wouldn't think that it's a stiff button.

hmmm...this will be a good comparison. I'm going to bring my 300D in to the camera shop next time and compare the shutter with the 40D and 5D to see the difference.

without having anything to compare my 40D to, I can't really say if it's stiff or not. There is a little "click" when I press on the shutter fully but I don't really have to press hard enough that the camera would shake.

without having anything to compare my 40D to, I can't really say if it's stiff or not. There is a little "click" when I press on the shutter fully but I don't really have to press hard enough that the camera would shake.

Thanks...yea, you don't notice it until you use a different camera. I had no idea until I tried that D70. I'm going to the camera shop tomorrow morning so I'll post a report on the comparisons.

I've found the shutter button on my 40d to be smooth and easy. I reckon the size of the camera could have something to do with it as well. The 40d is substantially bigger (and heavier) than the 300d and that may affect its stability in your hands, particularly if they are large.

I've found the shutter button on my 40d to be smooth and easy. I reckon the size of the camera could have something to do with it as well. The 40d is substantially bigger (and heavier) than the 300d and that may affect its stability in your hands, particularly if they are large.

Really good point I hadn't thought of. If the camera is bigger and heavier, there is more weight to counteract any possible movement caused by the pressing of the shutter.

I agree with Jon0807... I can't say that the stiffness of the button affects the stiffness of my hands :)

About the ergonomics of the camera... well i hold a 350D, 400D and a 10D... and i think that 40D is way better... i mean you have on what to hold on :lol:.. especially for dudes with big hands...

are there cheaper ways to solve this? Like... holding the lens different to counterbalance shake? Using a different finger for the shutter buton? Sounds silly, but maybe holding the camera different would help.

Ok, so I went to test out my hunch today, and I determined that although there may be just the slightest difference in stiffness between the 300D compared to the 40D, (I didn't test the 5D but I'm guessing it's the same as the 40D) I think it is insignificant and almost unnoticeable. But, I do think that I may be pressing too hard sometimes when I press the shutter and I'm going to be more conscious of this from now on.

So I think my theory is partly right, except that it is me, not the camera.

Do keep in mind that it is to some degree mechanical, and as such there will be variations in the tolerances from camera to camera within the same model range. One 5D might be slightly tighter or looser than another 5D... and so on with all other camera models. I remember when the 5D came out the light shutter was discussed as a feature. Compared to the Canon D60 I was shooting with at the time, the 5D was considered extremely light. The point was that it would lead to slightly less camera shake.

Do keep in mind that it is to some degree mechanical, and as such there will be variations in the tolerances from camera to camera within the same model range. One 5D might be slightly tighter or looser than another 5D... and so on with all other camera models. I remember when the 5D came out the light shutter was discussed as a feature. Compared to the Canon D60 I was shooting with at the time, the 5D was considered extremely light. The point was that it would lead to slightly less camera shake.

interesting...thanks.

The one at costco was loose becuase everyone abused it testing it in the store.

On the 40D there is a two second timer you could use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back