Question for Apple computer and iPod owners...

I tried a screenshot of a video I shot with my digital camera and it would not do it right. I tried several Windows machines - all with the same result. I gather at the time it was some kind of copy protection. They might have removed it now.

I put 1 song from my iTunes onto a floppy disk and then put it in my toaster, and it wouldn't play. I hate DRM!

There seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread...

Indeed, with me being the primary source of it :)

I've learned some stuff. I still don't like being told what to do with something I've already paid for. I guess I'm too much of a free spirit in that respect.

Thanks for all of the answers, and the clarification. I see you Mac owners are well aware of the issues, and seem to have no problem with them, as they aren't exclusive to your brand.

I do remember how great iTunes was on my Mac with OS9. It was simple, straightforward, and didn't have any options I didn't want like the new iTunes and WMPs do. I found a program called Media Player Classic that was almost perfect, except it had no play list function. Other than that I couldn't complain! :)

I've only just ventured into the Ipod world. Decided to buy my wife one for her Bday a few months ago. Whilst I like the device, I hate the ITunes software. It converts your Cd's easy enough, but transfering music and movies in the beginning was nothing short of frustrating. The movies I found the hardest. Whats wrong with click and drag? Anyway, I like the Ipod. I have the radio device on order at the moment so she can listen to it in her car. Have not had any licencing issues yet ripping my CD's. I agree with what some say about buying something then being controlled on how you can use it. What I find funny is that you cant play MP3's that you may have downloaded in a public place, yet you can play the cd of the same music. Most of my music has come from peer to peer programs but I still buy the odd CD. Most CD's arent worth the plastic they are wrapped in. I know thats not going to sit well with the purists, but I dont care. Pretty crappy attitude, I know, but those who are against it cant tell me that at some point they have not used P2P themselves in the past. Cant say anything about other mac products, been a PC man all my computing life.

It's not that apple doesn't trust you with a song, it's the record companies and the RIAA that want DRM embedded into each track. I believe that you can buy unprotected versions of a song but you have to pay more.

Personally I don't buy music from apple or any other online source. Call me old fashioned but I prefer to have something tangible in my hands like a CD or LP.

Eh, sort of correct. iTunes has started "iTunes Plus" which offers DRM free music at the same price as DRM music. However, not all of the music is available in the iTunes Plus format.

Also, iTunes Plus is a higher bitrate.

I tried a screenshot of a video I shot with my digital camera and it would not do it right. I tried several Windows machines - all with the same result. I gather at the time it was some kind of copy protection. They might have removed it now.

That's what happens when you take a picture of a CRT monitor buddy....

Yay for making totally unqualified statements with absolutely no proof!

:thumbdown:

That's what happens when you take a picture of a CRT monitor buddy....

Yay for making totally unqualified statements with absolutely no proof!

:thumbdown:

I'm pretty sure he was saying that the video he was trying to take a screenshot of was shot with his camera. Not that he tried to take a picture of his monitor with his camera

It seems to me that companies should recognise that copying will happen no matter what they do to try to stop it and just stop bothering. Instead of spending time and effort on that, produce newer, better products.
It seems to me that consumers should recognise that burglary will happen no matter what they do to try to stop it and just stop bothering. Instead of spending time and effort on that, buy newer, better products.

LWW

Indeed, with me being the primary source of it :)

I've learned some stuff. I still don't like being told what to do with something I've already paid for. I guess I'm too much of a free spirit in that respect.

Thanks for all of the answers, and the clarification. I see you Mac owners are well aware of the issues, and seem to have no problem with them, as they aren't exclusive to your brand.

I do remember how great iTunes was on my Mac with OS9. It was simple, straightforward, and didn't have any options I didn't want like the new iTunes and WMPs do. I found a program called Media Player Classic that was almost perfect, except it had no play list function. Other than that I couldn't complain! :)

Windows has EULA that say you won't make copies. DVD's are copy protected. I'm sure Burger King has a stipulation that says you're not allowed to take their burgers onto a bridge at 5:15PM GMT while riding a unicycle and whistling the theme song to chips.

Get over. Quit bitching. If it bothers you that much, don't buy it.

Windows has EULA that say you won't make copies. DVD's are copy protected. I'm sure Burger King has a stipulation that says you're not allowed to take their burgers onto a bridge at 5:15PM GMT while riding a unicycle and whistling the theme song to chips.

Get over. Quit bitching. If it bothers you that much, don't buy it.

Don't act like you don't complain about stuff either. I've seen you complain about irresponsible models, newbies asking about what settings to use, and more. Yet, I never told you to, "Get over it and quit bitching."

I see no point to your post other than to incite anger and create a flame war. Its people with this attitude that make certain issues impossible to discuss on this website civilly. Congratulations.

BTW, thanks to everyone else who posted. I really appreciate your responses, and I learned A LOT from your guys' responses. The whole thing has helped me see Apple in a more positive light than I did when I originally created this thread.

It's very simple to blame apple for DRM but as previously mentioned. Apple is not a big fan either. I like itunes as it's fairly easy to use and i only have 2 macs that need to run itunes and that works fine.

But bear in mind that complaining about apple making it difficult for us to do what the record companies deem illegal use of their product is just like all the discussions about my pictures were used without my permission threads.

NOOOO!!!! the DRM protesters are back! About a year ago EVERYONE was protesting against DRM, I thought everyone had forgotten. Yea, DRM is dumb but it's the record company's fault, not apple's.

Don't act like you don't complain about stuff either. I've seen you complain about irresponsible models, newbies asking about what settings to use, and more. Yet, I never told you to, "Get over it and quit bitching."

I see no point to your post other than to incite anger and create a flame war. Its people with this attitude that make certain issues impossible to discuss on this website civilly. Congratulations.

BTW, thanks to everyone else who posted. I really appreciate your responses, and I learned A LOT from your guys' responses. The whole thing has helped me see Apple in a more positive light than I did when I originally created this thread.

My point is that there's a ton of things out there telling you that you can only have one copy or use their product a certain way. How many times have you made copies of something copyrighted and not though twice about it? Copied a CD, tape, VHS, DVD, software, etc...

If it bothers you, then either abide by it or don't.

Unfortunately there's not posted warnings on the Model's pages saying that they're probably going to flake on you because they're irresponsible and unreliabe.

There's also not clear cut statements in the noob section that say the noobs will only post 1/2 of the appropriate threads in hear and scatter the rest all over the internet. Maybe we should have those put up though...that way I wouldn't have a reason to complain when there was something up there telling me what was probably going to happen.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back