Question for Mac users

wendyalana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi folks,

So I've given a few people copies of their photos and burned them from my Mac onto a CD. I went to Black's today with a girlfriend and wondered what was taking so long to load the files. There were 750 photos on the CD. The problem seemed to be that there were originals, modified and individual face recognized photos which as you can imagine, took up huge amounts of space. The photos were before, during and after a baptism and reception so there were several but NOT that many!

I'm really trying to figure out workflow, as discussed in a previous thread however there always seems to be a setback in regards to the final product. The photos printed beautifully at Black's however there were just too many on the disk. Does anyone know a simple way of burning just the images to the CD without having all those folders automatically upload as well?

Thanks so much,

Wendy

If possible use something like Lightroom to organise your photos and export those you wish to print at a set size - say 6x4 at 300dpi. to a separate folder to burn to disk.

If you work through photos in almost any programme - use the Save As and give a name to all the files that you wish to print or give away ideally including the date of the event. You can then do a search for these images and again copy them to a folder just for that event.

An image 6x4 300dpi will print larger and stand some cropping to a diferent format enough to satisfy most family use.

Does anyone know a simple way of burning just the images to the CD without having all those folders automatically upload as well?

Thanks so much,

Wendy

DO NOT LET iPhoto do it for you, or else you'll have all those extra folders that serve no purpose.

You need lightroom or aperture, whichever you like better. I love lightroom! If you dont get that software soon, just export the photo you are wanting to print, in the correct dpi rating, and create a folder on the desktop. then simply just burn them to a disk.

Thank you! As stated before, I think I need to figure out workflow. I do have Lightroom and Photoshop, I love lightroom but I find when I export it, it saves with the white border around it and therefore I have to save it and crop it in Iphoto which is a pain and too many steps. In Lightroom, I can drag to the edges so it bleeds off the page for example but I have to do that every time.

When you folks are using lightroom, which size do you select for print and does it make a difference if you select 5x7 or 8x10 when they want to go and print for example a 6x8?

Basically my question is what size do you all use in lightroom and how do you eliminate the white page background?

Wendy

First thing I do when I get a Mac with iLife included is to delte iPhoto. I had it delete photos from a show I photographed once. Bad experience...

Lightroom doesn't automatically add any kind of border...unless you're talking about when you print them (either from your computer or at the store) it has a border...but that's a problem with the printing, not with LR.

If you use the Export option in LR (you can set it up in the sidebar so you can just drag+drop pictures onto it and it'll export them all) it should save the files individually exactly how they should be (no borders or extra crap). That's how I export every single time from LR (when I use it) and it's always worked perfectly.

You can always go into the iPhoto files and grab either Modified, Originals, or Face files from any event you create .....

Thank you! As stated before, I think I need to figure out workflow. I do have Lightroom and Photoshop, I love lightroom but I find when I export it, it saves with the white border around it and therefore I have to save it and crop it in Iphoto which is a pain and too many steps. In Lightroom, I can drag to the edges so it bleeds off the page for example but I have to do that every time.

When you folks are using lightroom, which size do you select for print and does it make a difference if you select 5x7 or 8x10 when they want to go and print for example a 6x8?

Basically my question is what size do you all use in lightroom and how do you eliminate the white page background?

Wendy

What camera are you using? It depends on the camera. Most DSLRs shoot at a ratio that's longer than the traditional film slide. An uncropped photo on a DSLR will print at 8x12 withough losing anything, but will be missing on the long edges if printed 8x10. You either have to crop it to the traditional ratio or have it printed at the stock ratio.

Most DSLRs have a 3:2 ratio where film had a 5:4 ratio.

DSLR:
4x6
6x9
8x12
10x15
12x24

Okay, I clearly need to read this forum more often! Thank you so much. I've been individually selecting the photo after editing and clicking "Print to file" and then having to drag it into Iphoto to crop the background white page. Now, I can just export the whole batch, save them into the desktop drive like everyone suggested and burn the photos without having to deal with Iphoto. Thanks again guys!!!

Most reactions

Back