Question on a lens

mkoop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will be trying to do land scape and wild life pictures with the occasional sporting event when I go to hockey games etc.

It seems the Tamron 70-300vc is a good fit, just looking for any other opinions before purchasing it. Also curious if it will be better suited for the aforementioned than a 50-200vc.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Last edited:
When you go to buy the lens go with the one that feels the most comfortable to you. Landscape and Nature photography lenses do not have to be that fast so either of these lenses will work great. Depending on how high the iso goes on the camera that you have it should be ok for hockey games, although I find that hockey is one of the most challenging sports to photograph because of lighting conditions. Good Luck.

Have you tried both out? I had the Nikon 55-200 and traded it in on the 70-300. I'm so happy with the new lens and my friends that have tried it have loved it too. I just took pics and video at a driving compitition and it was so nice to not worry about being able to zoom.

remember you get what you pay for (most of the time) large range lenses have a sweet spot somewhere in the middle on the focal length so a 70-300 will be sharpest somewhere in the 150-200 range. I have a canon 70-300 IS USM - Not to say it won’t do good at 70 or 300 but best results will come somewhere in the middle. The better the lens the more sweet spot you should get.

Thanks for all the great info guys, this place is great. The lens would be paired with a D200.

I'm looking at these two currently:

Tamron SP 70-300MM F/4-5.6 DI VC USD
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

Anyone used either of these that could give a recommendation? They both end up being the same price.

I think you'd be better off with a nikon 80-200mm f2.8 af-d, for wildlife and sports.

For landscape I'd suggest a 20mm f2.8 ais manual focus.

Most reactions

Back