Question on lens for first engagement shoot

noodles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

A friend of mine has asked me to do their engagement pictures in the next few weeks.

Currently I shoot on a D90 w/ 35 f/1.8 and have a 18-200 vrII.

I'd like to rent a lens to ensure I get the sharpest pictures and I'm also not sure what lighting condition i'll be shooting at .. (location tba).

I'm considering the 70-200 f/2.8 and/or the 24-70 f/2.8 or maybe even a wide angel 17-55 f/2.8. Is there any one lens you would suggest or would you
think the ones I have already should be sufficient ?

Thanks!

No expert but on a crop sensor I'd choose that 17-55 for close quarters. You should find out the venue before deciding. If outdoors the 70-200 would be my first choice. ;)

First off, try and influence the choice of venue. Suggest places you know were the lighting is good. Always better to have an idea of what you are getting into than showing up blind.

Do you have a flash? If not, I'd consider renting one. Even if its top mounted, you can use it to bounce indoors or slight fill outdoors.

For lenses, if I had to choose just one lens, I'd go with the 24-70. Wide enough for full bodies and the 50-70 range will be sweet on a crop sensor. The 17-55 (does Nikon make one??) would be great as well. Second choice would be the 70-200. But really, flash + 24-70 and you are good to go

I agree with bigtwinky, particularly about the flash.

You'll want to scout locations that have open shade, and do some studying on photographic lighting.

One of the most common mistakes new shooters make is not taking control of the light, and just accepting whatever light there is.

awesome thanks guys!!! thinking 24-70 and if i need to go wide i'll use my 18-200 and shoot at 18mm.

I do have a hot shoe mounted flash - sb700 so I can bounce with that.. as well as a fong dong diffuser to soften. The best tip here was definitely scouting the location and perhaps getting my wife to take some test shots for lighting... thanks all!

i used a 17-55mm 2.8 on my d90 for an engagement shoot i did about a month ago. the 70-200mm would be ideal but you can also try a macro lens too which is great for portraits

I love using my Nikkor 70-200 for e-shoots. It let's you get some distance between you and them. For times like those, I just tell them to forget they're being photographed and just playfully love each other. I always find a funny joke or two to give the guy. Laughter can make such a natural smile and great photographs.

I would say I use my 70-200 the most.

Most reactions

Back