Question On Portrait Exposure

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Setting up to shoot a portrait against a black backdrop. I want to use a large soft box up close on one side and have the other side fade gradually into the black. I'm using a small white reflector to bring some light back just into the shadow side of the face and a back light low to provide separation between the subject and the backdrop.

I think I already know the answer to the question, but I need confirmation please. My test exposures are turning out well, but my histogram is falling way short of reaching the right side. Would this be normal on this type of shot, or do I need to try to get the exposure more to the right?

@smoke665 - yes, it would be normal for the histogram to be to the left, as you are going for a darker image. It should shift more to the right as you add the person and light them (adding lighter subject).

@smoke665 - yes, it would be normal for the histogram to be to the left, as you are going for a darker image. It should shift more to the right as you add the person and light them (adding lighter subject).

Thanks Ron. I assumed that to be the case.

It should shift more to the right
Not so much a shift as a new addition. The existing large mountain should remain where it is. When you add a subject you should have a smaller hill show up. For lighter skin subjects the hill with be farther right. For darker skins, more toward the middle.

It should shift more to the right
Not so much a shift as a new addition. The existing large mountain should remain where it is. When you add a subject you should have a smaller hill show up. For lighter skin subjects the hill with be farther right. For darker skins, more toward the middle.

True, I thought about the darker skin but didn't know who to explain it. But the fact is that just the background would be to the left and the dispersion will move the right side closer when adding a lighter subject and lighting it.

I guess that my point is that just because the histogram is to the left and not touching the right, doesn't mean that it is under exposed. If the subject being photographed is dark.

Thanks all, it seems like as I practice more on specific shots I get in a certain mindset and find it hard to shift gears when the shot changes. I know the answers just like confirmation.

Footnote: worrying about the histogram is the least of your problems when trying to photograph an active 2 yr old.

Thanks all, it seems like as I practice more on specific shots I get in a certain mindset and find it hard to shift gears when the shot changes. I know the answers just like confirmation.

Footnote: worrying about the histogram is the least of your problems when trying to photograph an active 2 yr old.

Not sure how your raising your kids. If you allow TV / videos, you might try setting up a monitor that is either playing a video of a kids show they like, or something that grabs their attention, and normally gets them to sit in one place. Have the monitor where you want them looking. Not a giant one that will throw a color cast. Or dim it down some.

you might try setting up a monitor that is either playing a video of a kids show they like,

It's our youngest granddaughter. She has several videos that she likes, but she's at that age where nothing grabs her attention for long. We did manage to grab a few. Posted here on TPF. Turns out a small flag, and competing for attention with Sadie was all it took

Help Me Pick

A Little Pre-4th Cuteness

I've just committed to a project involving the little girl of some friends of ours. This is my first time shooting outside of family and is a little scary. LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back