Question on SDHC card

CRman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know my D80 is compatible with SDHC... Thats clear. I am looking at 4 and most likely an 8gig card. Some lists Class 6. What does Class 6 mean? Is there a better card? Is this any good. Not worried about price I just need more storage as I am starting to shoot a lot more RAW..

If anyone can answer the class 6 issue please chime in. Thanks!

Marc

Samriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
SDHC cards are generally grouped in Class 2, Class 4 and Class 6, the numbers indicating the respective write/transfer rates of min. 2Mbs/s, 4Mbs/s, 6Mbs/s.
Many cards are of course faster than 6Mbs/s, like 12Mbs/s or 24Mbs/s, but they still count as Class 6. Microdia makes quite fast cards, but they are also quite expensive.

Mav

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
If you shoot A LOT and especially in RAW (and especially professionally), it'd be in your best interests to get the fastest possible card you can along with a fast card reader. Otherwise a whole session of RAW data is going to take ages to download, and if you're a professional, time is money.

I just picked up some Sandisk 4GB SDHC cards from Costco on sale for $29.99 and have no clue what class they are and don't care either. I just need the space, I don't shoot professionally, and don't shoot RAW either.

TamiyaGuy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The class on the card referrs to how fast it is. Note that 2mb/s DOESN'T mean it will record a 2 megabyte file in a second. the mb there stands for megaBITS, and a bit is 1/8th of a byte. So it'll actually record a 250KB file in a second.

If you're shooting RAW, then I highly recommend a SanDisk Extreme III sdhc card. They're lightning fast, and surprisingly cheap too. Of course, if you don't mind about read/write times, a regular SDHC card should be OK, if a little slow.

sabbath999

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Faster is definitely better in real usability terms.

OP
C

CRman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
good call on the SanDisk Extreme III sdhc card. Just ordered a 4 gb from Amazon... oddly the cheapest. $52 bucks shipped. I'll see how it does and bump to the 8GB if needed. Thanks for the clarifications.

Marc

JMCIII

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just picked up some Sandisk 4GB SDHC cards from Costco on sale for $29.99 and have no clue what class they are and don't care either. I just need the space, I don't shoot professionally, and don't shoot RAW either.

I agree, I have a 4 gig SDHC and an 8 Gig SDHC card. Space was most important as I don't shoot RAW and I don't shoot sports. Both cards work great for what I want them for.

Most reactions

New Topics