Question re: 35mm lens

Focus isn't an issue with your shots, imo. Sharpness is a mix of contrast and resolution. How many line pairs per millimeter can your optic resolve at a set distance and aperture. How does the central area compare to the borders and so on. At certain apertures we've discussed here, a lens will be compromized by color aberrations. These make a color image less sharp. Convert to greyscale and the problem goes away. The better corrected a lens, the less CA (chromatic aberration) is an issue.

At F5.6 - F8 i would guess your lens suffers very little CA or even (practically) none. It will also be optimal sharp. So all you have to do (with a shutterspeed of 1/125 or more) is carefully focus it, carefully posture yourself, and gently click the shutter as you breath out with empty lungs :) voila!

A diffuse flash would light the hair and lighten the eye sockets.

Last edited:
Shufti, definitely will do....and, you suggest I shoot in Aperture priority mode...ok. Anxious to share results with you tomorrow.

I am researching everything you are throwing at me. I love the challenge. I won't lie - I didn't realize it was this complicated, but I am also relieved to see that it is. It gives me more hope as an aspiring photographer in a city where everyone seems to have the newest entry level dslr.

Last edited:
Yes i think so. It'll will allow you to easy bracket shots at different apertures. The camera will decide shutterspeed. But keep an eye on the shutterspeed. If it goes below 1/125 with kids shifting about (a bit), then raise the ISO up one level. If they are running around, you will need 1/250 or more. Ideally, you should be checking your luminance and RGB histograms after each shot to be certain the shots are good exposures. Maybe that's biting off more than you can chew for one day (?) If you shoot raw, most of the shots should be useable. Evaluative (matrix) metering if possibly the safest bet too. But centre-weighted at some future time you might find more versatile.

^ ^ There you go photomama... I have 28-100 zoom that only gives satisfactory shots within narrow parameters. Certainly not throughout its (marketed) range.

Well dang!! That is a lot more thorough than Ken Rockwell's rating.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back