Question that really needs answered

MyNameIsChris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisammondphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my original DSLR was a Canon Rebel XT and I recently purchased a Canon 1D (the original). I posted a thread right afterward asking if it was a good deal because I felt a little bit of buyer's regret. Anways, I paid $1300 for the 1D a Tamron 28-75 lens and a 430ex speedlite plus all the cables and chargers.

My question is should I look into getting my alien bees lighting system first or try to get a new camera? My business is starting to pick up and I have quite a few weddings, engagment pictures, and senior portraits lined up and I don't know what I should do! Please give me some insight on what to do, whether this camera is good enough or any recomendations.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: My concern is because the OG 1D is only 4mp. I know I can do up to 8x10 but after that probably won't look too great.

Last edited:
I comfortably printed an A3 from a 3.2mpx camera. It won't satisfy the pixel peepers but it looks just fine from about 1m away. The resolution concern is up to you and your definition of sharp and has been discussed to death on this board already.

As for the camera, where would you be using the lighting equipment? The weddings won't benefit much since I doubt you'd have time to actually setup lighting. I guess it really depends on your shooting style. There are tons of examples on this forum where exceptional senior portraits and engagement shoots have been done with little more than a $20 reflector. If this is your shooting style then the lighting may be a waste. That said if you plan to take things into the studio, or plan to take the studio outside into the light, then the Alien bees may make more sense.

This is not something we can really answer, since we are not you.

I'll agree with Garbz - figure out what you need. That being said, take this next statement with a grain of responsibility: Credit is not bad, the misuse of it is. If you have business opportunities where profits would be significantly greater with the purchase of equipment, by all means get a credit card, and after you're done, pay it off...quick.

Most reactions

Back