question????

mhbaseball

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place for this but thank you anyway....

I need to convert png to gif. I've tried gimp, image converter and 985. Every time it lowers the image quaility. Is there a program that can do this? The background also has to remain empty.

Thanks.

I need to convert png to gif. I've tried gimp, image converter and 985. Every time it lowers the image quaility. Is there a program that can do this? The background also has to remain empty.

Thanks.
Does empty mean transparent?

I just converted a transparent background .png file to .gif with no loss of quality using Photoshop CS4.

Last edited:

Thanks.
Does empty mean transparent?

I just converted a transparent background .png file to .gif with no loss of quality using Photoshop CS4.

Yes, the background needs to remain transparent. Is there something alot cheaper than photoshop? I'm not spending $699.00 for a program that I'm only using for one application. I have about 200 png images that need to be converted. I was hoping for something under $30. Thanks.

If you're getting a quality loss then you simply don't understand the settings.

GIF has several settings amongst the standard set is the number of colours, transparency layer, dithering, ... All of these options are similar to the PNG options, since really PNG is pretty much GIF with some much wanted compression, and a very critical option for more possible colours.

If you're getting a quality loss when converting to GIF then you need to increase the number of possible colours, the maximum is unfortunately 256 for GIF. Beyond that the only option is dithering. This is a problem with the GIF format itself. If your picture have more than 256 different colours you WILL get quality loss, and there's no way around that.

Really the fundamental issue here is that GIF is not suited for what you're trying to do (I assume the PNGs are photos or something other than simple graphics?). Who picked the format, and for what purpose? Let them know either that GIF is not suitable or that they need to put up with the poor quality.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back