Questions about... well everything...

I just a small tip. Seeing as you're relatively new to actually taking photos, I suggest you keep using your kit lens and your other stuff. I am a firm believer of using something until one feel limited by it. You keep taking photos. Read about composition (the hard part of photography) and experiment. You'll find out what you really want to focus on, and you'll outgrow your equipment. When you feel limited by your kit lens, then it's time to invest!

i.e. You you never seem to be able to get as much of a landscape into the frame as you want, that may be an indication of an interest in landscape photography of huge landscapes. 18mm on a crop body might not be wide enough. Or maybe you can't get close enough to the birds at 55mm? Then a new tele might be an upgrade. You need to find out how your lens limits you, and see what you want in new equipment. Remember, the camera and lens aren't taking your photo, you can your photo - with your camera and lens.

If you feel your case isn't living up to your expectations, then perhaps you've "outgrown" it. You may feel limited by it. At some point you'll feel limited by your pop-up flash, and want to invest in a new flash. This is, in my opinion, the "correct" way to improve. Use what you have until you feel limited by it.

Also, I'd recommend having two smaller memory cards instead of one big - you might lose it, or it could be broken ;) If that happens 1000 meters above sea level in your small tent 90000000 miles from civilisation, you'd wish you had another one ;)

Thank you Compaq for the reply. You just reinforced much of what Bitter said. That is good to know. And very good advice obviously. In addition to the 32GB card I also have a pair of 4GB cards in the bag. Though one is only a class 2 and the other is a class 6. I will be keeping an eye on my favorite vendors for a sale on some class 10's of 8GB+ in size. I think I will just continue to shoot shoot shoot and watch some items that have been recommended and see when they go on sale. I got a REALLY great deal on my T3i for only $755.99 for the kit and 30% off any three accessories bought at the same time. I think I really lucked out on that deal!

Thank everyone for the replies so far!

I agree to not to buy or sell anything until you get a feel for what you like to photograph. Landscape photography will use some different equipment than portraits. You may buy prime lenses vs zooms, may want large focal length lenses for nature or may not like photography at all. My first camera bag was a shoulder bag and it held all of my equipment - a Nikon FE, 2 zoom lenses, a 50mm lens and a flash ... it couldn't hold my new equipment. I have a Kata 3-N-1 30 bag and it holds everything nicely but I don't have a lot of equipment.

I believe someone suggested software, depending on how deep you want to get into processing get some free stuff for now. Besides whatever came with your camer try Picassa, Photoscape or GIMP. There are some lower cost software, I have tried the Serif product but found it is not all that powerful vs Adobe's products.

Unless you plan on rapid shooting the class 2 cards may be sufficient as your camera has a buffer. I have been using class 4 and it is fine for my needs and I have tested the camera and it'll take about 7 photos before it stops but I don't shoot sports.

Here is the bag I have: Amazon.com: Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Black with Green Accent): Camera & Photo I LOVE IT!!! When I got it, I really didn't need as much room as it provided, but I couldn't resist the price & I have quickly filled it up. It's very flexible also, w/ all of the little dividers you can move around when need be. .

My first couple of purchases after getting my T2i was a flash (Nissin Di622; couldn't/can't afford a Canon) & a battery grip (non OEM w/ 2 extra batteries, Ebay, around $50).

I also have the 18-55mm kit lens & purchased the 55-250mm lens the same day I bought my camera. Some will say neither of them are the best lenses, but I think they're good when you're just starting out. Plus, I can't afford any of the "L" lenses, so I'll probably be stuck w/ these for a while! :D

Good luck w/ your buying!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Wow...that is a lot of backpack for $41. I have an expensive name-brand backpack that has a very similar layout, and it cost $200. The one you linked to would be a good backpack for stowing a lot of lenses and a body with a lens attached, as well as some small accessories. Backpacks are really handy for storing equipment, and for transporting it from one location to another, but are very awkward to shoot out of once on-location. I cannot ascertain the quality of the fixtures and zippers and padding of this Canon 200EG backpack from the Amazon ad, but the price is very low...even if it lasts 2 or 3 years, that's worth $41.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This may be a really stupid question but what is the difference between an Amazon Cannon backpack and an Amazon Nikon backpack. The dimensions of the cameras and lenses can't be that different in this context.

At least if they said Cannon or Nikon on them you could get the Cannon pack, that way no one would steal it.:razz:

This may be a really stupid question but what is the difference between an Amazon Cannon backpack and an Amazon Nikon backpack. The dimensions of the cameras and lenses can't be that different in this context.

At least if they said Cannon or Nikon on them you could get the Cannon pack, that way no one would steal it.:razz:

Any discerning thief could tell the difference between 'Cannon' and Canon. Unless they are a thief that would enjoy a small nautical cannon with a matching Amazon backpack, they might consider what appears to be the "knock off".

Eh, Canon, Cannon I hear they shoot about the same...:lol: Kidding aside, I was at work and could only "pop in" every now and then and I was typing fast.

So is there some difference here? Between packs not cannons and Canons.

I tried the link to your photo but it will not let me see it. However, just from your description I have now simply folded the sides down and inward towards the middle. Placing the body atop the folded "tabs" the body rests nicely and the lens is suspended above the bottom padding. It works much better now. Thank you.

Flaps fold outward: Lowepro EX 180 SLR Camera Bag - NEW Photo & Cameras in Calgary, Alberta Classifieds - CanadianListed.com

Thanks, I have changed the tabs and moved the separators a little so that I would actually have room for another lens (if I had one) on one side and a spot for my two filters and extra battery on the other.

As far as a new purchase I think my next one will probably be some extension tubes. It seems as if I can get a LOT of mileage out of them as they will work will all lenses and will give me the ability to get a closer focus distance. Then after that probably a xx-300mm zoom lens. This lens, with the 18-55 kit lens, and the extension tubes will give me a pretty wide array of shooting options. However, it will be a while before I go that far. For now, I am just going to keep shooting with what I have and think about other possibilities.

Thanks, I have changed the tabs and moved the separators a little so that I would actually have room for another lens (if I had one) on one side and a spot for my two filters and extra battery on the other.

As far as a new purchase I think my next one will probably be some extension tubes. It seems as if I can get a LOT of mileage out of them as they will work will all lenses and will give me the ability to get a closer focus distance. Then after that probably a xx-300mm zoom lens. This lens, with the 18-55 kit lens, and the extension tubes will give me a pretty wide array of shooting options. However, it will be a while before I go that far. For now, I am just going to keep shooting with what I have and think about other possibilities.

Extension tubes are fun, but as someone has already mentioned keep shooting to find out what you're needing in terms of limitations.
With extension tubes make sure your subject is very well illuminated and also a tripod would be a good investment for macro work along with a remote shutter release.

In my opinion I would suggest upgrading in this order Flash>Telephoto lens> Battery grip + extra battery and tripod>specific lens and other equipment>better body

Also another option is to buy used locally from craigslist and save a few bucks

Last edited:
Thank you Ginu. I will take what you said into consideration. I have been taking a bunch more shots and I will continue to do so. I am really having a blast with my camera so far. A lot of friends are impressed but it mostly with the camera and not my shots lol. I was thinking extension tubes would be a good idea because they can be used with any lens that I get in the future. I am just not sure what all reasons why I would need the tubes except for the ability to focus closer for close ups/ pseudo macro which I am really enjoying right now. I am definitely looking at a nice tripod. Anyone have a nice suggestion for one that is good quality and not too greatly expensive. I am looking for one that can rotate the camera and the legs can lay flat. I will look around and see what I can find and compare that to any suggestions.

Thanks again for all of the information everyone!

Tripod --- good quality + not expensive
Tripod with very low min height.
Hmm, what is the budget?

Tripod --- good quality + not expensive
Tripod with very low min height.
Hmm, what is the budget?

I was thinking some where in the $150 to $200 range... Though of course I am looking for the best value. I would hate to spend $150 for a (range of 1 to 10) tripod rated a 8 When I could get one rated a 7 for $100. At the same time I would hate to buy one rated a 8 for $200 when I could get one rated a 9 for $225. Again I am looking for the best bang for my buck. I am by no means a professional or even a good amateur. I am just starting out, so looking for bang for the buck. I have a little tiny gorilla grip table top/ leg wrapping tripod I got for my wife for her little Canon Elph. I put my camera on it and the little 18-55 kit lens make the front end sag down. That is no good but I have used it when I just had to.

Thanks again DXQCanada for commenting and taking your time to help me :sexywink:

EDIT:

Two I was looking at:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/666432-REG/Vanguard_TRACKER_4_Tracker_4_Aluminum_Tripod.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/589888-REG/Velbon_ULTRA_LUXI_L_Ultra_LUXi_L_Tripod_with.html

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back