Questions for the Car people

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alright, so I posted about getting a Celica, and I went and test drove a 2000 GT today...boy was it sweet...but after talking the guy down to my price range, I decided and be smart and check the carfax report on it. The report shows that it was in a minor accident in 2001, IMO that isn't too big a deal...but then it shows that last feb mileage was reported at 89k, and two months later at 19k, so carfax flags it as "possible odometer rollback"...today the mileage is at 106k...do you think this is bad? My parents are concerned, and I am as well...I don't want to get a piece o trash, so I think I'm going to ask a mechanic friend to check it out.

Should I look elsewhere? Or keep considering and researching this one?

If there is some tampering happening, walk away. There are plenty of fish in the sea, so to speak.

KevinR said:
If there is some tampering happening, walk away. There are plenty of fish in the sea, so to speak.

i agree, don't let the excitement get to your head, if its meant to be it will happen...don't try to force something that you know ahead of time might cause trouble. i would keep looking, listen to your gut.

good luck with the hunt! :D

Yea, I guess just cuz it said "possible" that I was thinking it may be okay...but heck it's one sweet ride :) I've just had problems finding one nearby...but will continue the search :)

It's ok to be paranoid Amanda, Don't go near it with your checkbook if the report says the odometre has been wound back. Sounds like the people you're dealing with are dodgey bastards.

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy it off the net.

My brother paid a $3000 deposit for a 1989 celica LAST JUNE! (Yes, I mean 2004).

We still have seen no sign of the car. And my brother won't get off his lazy behind and do anything about it.

The guy only responds when my mum sends him faxes threatening legal action.

He has given us "the boat missed the ship", "The boat will be in Sydney late in March and then I will have it sent to you", "there was a flaw in the paperwork"... Etc, etc, etc.

Meanwhile, my uncles are rally car drivers, and their friend did the importing thing. And apparently ships carrying cars don't dock in Sydney!

My uncles think the guy has sold the car to someone else, and can't find another one.

Thanks X and fading, I will definitely pass on it and watch for another.

As for the internet, I won't buy anything until it's carfax is perfect, and I go and look at it first, even if that means driving the distance to check things over :)

The accident would probably make me walk away, at least with a sports car. but as for the odometer reading i would not be as concerned. The info on carfax is entered by people who are prone to mistakes. If it had 89k then 2 months later someone mistyped 19 instead of 91 in the milege field it could be easily overlooked. you look from 89-91k in 3 months is not unreasonable. but 85k (from 19-106k) in one year is driving the car more then most people do in 2-5 years, at least with a sports car... I suspect a data entry error onthe carfax report. I have looked into celicas of that year myself and being as they are a sports car the milage on all the ones i have been seeing are from 70-130k in that year range. Not many over that.
I would hate for you to buy a lemon though, the accident, depending on what it is could be nothing to speak of, but have it throughly checked by a "Toyota" mechanic before trying to purchase. And make sure the mechanic is not affiliated withthe dealer you are buying from.
Gut feeling is usually best in my opinion. They cars are nice (I sold toyotas in 1999-00) they run well for the most part, but if you are having reservations then walk away. If it were a Ford then i would tell you to run as fast as you can...

havoc said:
If it were a Ford then i would tell you to run as fast as you can...

:lol: I have a Ford Ranger at the moment...and I like it, but we won't get into that :lol:

I decided to use my gut instinct and not go with this particular car. Just to many things that make me worry. A dealer I know is checking out an auction tommorow for me, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he finds something. If not it looks like I may be visiting a nearby state in the next week or so :)

Just curious, someone suggested that sometimes a dealer will meet you half way with a car, or will have it shipped to you. They also mentioned that if I talked to a local dealer that they would have the abillity to get the car I want from a different toyota dealer...think its true? The person knows as much as I do about cars which is SQUATT :lol:

The Ford comment was more directed at the used market ;)

If you were buying new then getting a Toyota from another Toyota dealership is possible. though usually very expensive for the buyer. The other dealership will want to be well compensated for there vehicle which is now "in demand" by you. I only saw it happen a couple of times, and it was for high end models like twin turbo Supras and Turbocharged TRD Tacomas, I think one Land Crusier as well. Those people that really want it don't care as much how much it will cost. For the average folks its usually not as easy. But for used cars i don't think they will be as willing to try. There is alot more profit in a used car and dealers really want the chance to get every penny for it. Maybe if the owner has multiple dealerships they let the salespeople sell from all their lots, but there can be complications internally within the company about that as well.
Some dealers will include shipping in the financed portion of the deal but they usually don't like to, (lowers their profit). Car sales and homebuys are the 2 last areas in modern society were bardering is king, it all depends on how well your bardering skills are, and when you catch the dealer. Sometimes the dealer is having a slow month and they are more likely to give you a favorable deal, sometimes business is booming and they tell you to take a hike. The ones that really rock are the dealers that have booming business and will still do a great deal, they are the smart ones believing that the volume will make up for the potiental lost profit on one deal. Only some dealers aren't that smart. also if you have financing prearanged then you are way ahead of the game. Then you don't have to worry if the dealer has a good rep with his lenders or not. Negotiating financing is where alot of dealers can really stick it to you. They can "play" with the numbers raising the cost of the car to maxmize there profit, while lowering your intrest rate to make you think you got a deal, when in reality you are paying the same or more money over the course of the loan, and the dealer is getting the money it can from the financer. be very vigilant in watching all the numbers when talking to a dealer. They will change the numbers so they make the most money and then try and tell you that its OK because you are not paying anymore, but they are the ones really winning.

I am looking for a decent Mitubishi 3000GT (vr4) and I can not find one in my area either. The few i have seen are way overpriced and i may have to look out of state too.

Thanks for the info havoc :) I will be sure and keep everything in mind you mentioned :) I really do appreciate your help!

As for the 3000 GT that's a nice car :) Good luck finding one...there are numerous cars in my area for sale on yahoo autos...maybe we just need to switch :lol:

havoc said:
I am looking for a decent Mitubishi 3000GT (vr4) and I can not find one in my area either. The few i have seen are way overpriced and i may have to look out of state too.

I've only ever seen 2 3000GT's in Austraila - one here in Newcastle and the other in a magazine, they usually sell 2nd hand for around AUS$60K. I also hear Nissan Skylines are thin on the ground in the states and the Supra is the car of choice for 6cyl turbo jockeys?

Thats pretty true. Skylines are not importable from the factory because they don't have the same emissions standards we do here, plus Japan doesn't wanna give us their best sports cars LOL. We have the 240sx which has i believe a similar chassis but comes with a weak motor and is only front wheel drive. I see alot of Silvia engine swaps going into those, and a few (though not many) skyline conversions. If you want to import a Skyline from Canada you can for about 20-30k but bet on spending another 20k to make it street legal here with emissions etc. Plus they are all right hand drive which for most of us americans is too complicated to drive LOL. I am looking for a 3000GT but i may settle for a twin turbo 300zx. they are plenty fast and upgradable, but they get real squirelly with more power, I want the GT though for the all wheel drive, while not forking out the cash for a new WRX or EVO. I am seeing most modded 3000gt's topping out at 400HP but i think i could get into the 500-550 range with some nitrous and tuning. I have yet to see a 10 second 3000GT that is streetable which would be my ultimate goal, but they are heavy cars. Supras are hot around here but i want the all wheel drive for traction, plus a decent used Supra is more money then a new Subaru STI.
The 3000GTs are not an everyday car around here though either, they are one of those cars that is hard to give it a set value, I see junk ones being bought for 12-14k US, and Nice ones going for anywaywhere between 7-18K. I will be looking for awhile i think, probably have to buy from California, which i would rather not do.

I will hand it to you Americans with your import cars - the WRX comes with a 2.5ltr engine over there where-as we only get a 2ltr engine but that's because we get higher octane petrol. I don't understand though how the 2JZ-GTE (Supra) engine complys with American emissions laws where as the RB26DETT (Skyline) engine doesn't...they're pretty much the same engine only the RB has a shorter stroke and smaller bore.

Anyways, good luck with the 3000GT. :)

Its not really the internals of the engine that is the difference. The Skyline doesn't include things like EGR vales and other emissions equipment. I have not looked much into skylines because of the cost involved, so much of what i say is heresay. I have heard that to get the dept of transpotrtation to approve use on the street costs about 20k. You would also have to swap out the instrument cluster, and some safety equiptment and apply for a title to the car. At least thats what i was told. Supras do run a fine line in the states though, most of the modified ones we see here aren't actually street legal, they just tag em where there isn't emmisions testing or they bolt on a bunch of emissions equipment and de-tune the car to pass. The actual 1k hp supras that are street legal are REALLY expensive to build, then if you sell them you never get your moneys worth. Do they oxygenate your gas over there? They do here, put all sorts of "additives" in it to make it more environmentally friendly. I am not complaining though, I think we are too dependant on all fossil fuels, and understand and applaud what little efforts our government has made in that area, however it makes it alittle harder for the performance crowd.

Most reactions

Back