Quick D5000 and 50mm autofocus question

Nikon_Dude

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon d5000 and want to pick up the 50mm f/1.8D AF lens but I'd like to know if it will autofocus with my camera. According to Nikon's website it says "autofocus: yes" under the lens and my camera says it is compatible with D type lenses, just that if it doesn't have built in autofocus then my camera cannot autofocus with that lens.

Does the "autofocus: yes" bit mean it has built in AF and will thus work with my camera?

the cheap 124 dollar one will not autofocus on your camera, the 320 something dollar one will

they will all autofocus on the d70+

I believe you need a "G" lens, those are the ones with the motor inside the lens right?

I believe you need a "G" lens, those are the ones with the motor inside the lens right?

"G" stands for gelded, nothing at all to do with AF.

The "baby Nikon" series of cameras DO NOT have an AF motor in the camera body, so they have to build the motor into the lens to make it AF.

Baby Nikon camera bodies are = D40, D40X, D60, D3000, and D5000.

These bodies REQUIRE AF-S lenses to AF. AF-S are the ONLY lenses which will AF on the baby Nikons, but the AF-S lenses will also AF on all other Nikon AF camera bodies (both film and digital).

ANY other Nikon AF film SLR or DSLR has AF motor in body and will AF with ANY Nikon lenses, INCLUDING the AF-S, AF, AF Nikkor, AF-D.

Think that makes snese....

G is gelded, in that Nikon removed the aperture ring from all the G-mount lenses.

All the G-series lenses have a focusing motor in the lens, so the G-series lenses will work on the baby Nikons with full autofocusing and light metering. The G series began with the old 70-300 G and some other low-cost lenses. It has expanded now to the professional lenses, like the 200/2, 300/2.8, the 400,500,600 superteles, 200-400, 70-200 VR series, the 60mm AF-S G and 105 AF-S G macro lenses, and most recently the 35mm 1.8 AF-S G and 50mm 1.4 AF-S G lenses.

The only Nikon 50mm lens that will autofocus on the baby Nikons is the 50mm 1.4 AF-S G model.

Crap. Knew I should have got the d90...if only I'd had the money.

How much of an inconvenience would it be to have to use only manual focus? I looking into this lens for indoor shots, probably mostly of people. Not really portraits but just pictures of people doing stuff, get togethers, etc.

Or is there another lens I should be looking at?

How much of an inconvenience would it be to have to use only manual focus? I looking into this lens for indoor shots, probably mostly of people. Not really portraits but just pictures of people doing stuff, get togethers, etc.

Probably the closes and least expensive option for you would be the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 AF-S lens. It is about $200. Here's an example, but many retailers sell for same cost.

Many people consider it as good or better than the 50mm anyhow, so I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Bro manual focusing is cake with that lens. The only thing you'll miss out on is moving objects...but anything still, it is actually quite fun!

I have to agree with DScience. The only thing you'll really not be able to shoot when having to manual focus is things that are moving. As long as you have the time to set up your shot, manual focus is no problem and your camera even still has a little green light in the viewfinder that will come on when you nail the focus. If you really want AF, or plan on trying to get quick shots on moving subjects, the 35mm prime suggested above will probably be a better option.

All the G-series lenses have a focusing motor in the lens...

At present, this is true and since Nikon seems to be phasing out the antiquated AF and AF-D lenses that require an AF motor in the body it seems likely that it will remain true for the foreseeable future. Technically, the "G" designation has nothing to do with autofocus, as stated in an earlier post. Its association with AF-S lenses is only a coincidence.

Also, the so called "baby" Nikons, their more entry level models, work with both the AF-S and AF-I lenses. Both series have internal focusing motors. The AF-I lenses were Nikon's first series of internal motor lenses. The AF-S lenses use a more advanced motor. Its not likely that Nikon will introduce any more AF-I lenses using the older style motor.

The AF and AF-D lenses lack their own motors and require bodies with their own AF motors. This was Nikon's original approach to AF and they give all indication that they are phasing it out. The more advanced bodies currently still have AF motors for compatibility with the older AF design and some of the older design lenses remain in Nikon's current catalog. All recent introductions have been AF-S as this is the better approach to AF.

I didn't think that "all" G lenses have an AF motor in the lens, so I am not sure that is a totally correct statement. Thought it was just AF-S, which are also G lenses.

Here is a "G" lens that does not have AF motor in lens. Am just using KR's link because of the good photo of the llens.

Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G

Definitely a G lens, definitely no AF motor in lens. Unless I am mistaken.

Bro manual focusing is cake with that lens. The only thing you'll miss out on is moving objects...but anything still, it is actually quite fun!
Plus, the lens is a "D" type lens. That means it sends distance info to the camera's CPU and the D5000 will know when focus has been achieved.

When that happens, it will light the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder. You just pick the focus point, and turn the focus ring manually until the in-focus indicator lights up in the viewfinder.

Your D5000 should have a function known as "Rangefinder Mode". Look it up in the Users Manual.

Thank you all for clearing up the "G" thing, it was late and I don't know what I was thinking lol "AF-S" is the right term

But, as far as manual focus with the 50mm f/1.8 on your camera, you may want to borrow the lens from someone or try it out and see what it's like, I know when I tried to lens on my D40x it would look in focus when I was about the take the picture, but then it would be blurry on the preview screen and ultimately on my computer

Once I got the D80 it was an amazing lens, this may have just been a fluke with the older D40x and maybe you'll capture exactly what you see with your camera, regardless, have fun with your camera, learn and then upgrade and enjoy more :)

Easy way to try AF and get used to it enough to see if you can deal with it is to turn AF off on your lens or camera body, wherever the switches are in your case. Then follow suggestions above, look for green light inside viewfinder, and shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back