Quick Link Barcodes on your Business Card?

iflynething

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have run out of cards and on the next one I am going to have a quick link to my Facebook.The website is up and coming, hopefully sooner than later, so I believe this will do for now. I used QR-Code Generator. I got the URL to my mobile version of my Facebook page (since they will be accessing it from a smartphone), put that in the address box and the website created a barcode, which actually does work and will link to my page. I have a normal size business card and this will be on the bottom, occupying about 1/4 the size of the card. I'm hoping this will be large enough for a smart phone to recognize the barcode and it to link correctly.Has anyone else done this? What's your success rate? The only reason I did this was people were having problems finding me online. This is a sure way for them to be linked.~Michael~

Make sure your QR links to a mobile-based website.

That's pretty cool with the logo in the code! Thanks Garbz.

Sparky, I did link it to the mobile version of my Facebook. I'm only doing 250 cards as I re-do my website. Facebook will have to work for now. It has in the past for me.

~Michael~

I have run out of cards and on the next one I am going to have a quick link to my Facebook.

The only reason I did this was people were having problems finding me online. This is a sure way for them to be linked.

Why not... just... put the *url* on the card?

Not everyone has a smartphone... but everyone with the internet on their phone has the capability to type in a url... and if it's clearly spelled out on the card no one should have a problem finding it.

I think a QR code would make sense if it took your potential clients to some sort of media you wanted them to see or hear, but if it's just a link to a facebook page, that just seems like more work than it's worth and you're cutting out some people from being able to access it. And if you put BOTH a link AND the QR code... then that's just redundant and it's going to clutter the card.

Just my $0.02

.......And if you put BOTH a link AND the QR code... then that's just redundant .............

Far from it. You should NEVER link to a 'normal' website with a QR. You should create an entirely separate site designed just for mobile-based products. While the two are similar and serve the same purpose, the same can be said for email and snail mail.

Far from it. You should NEVER link to a 'normal' website with a QR. You should create an entirely separate site designed just for mobile-based products. While the two are similar and serve the same purpose, the same can be said for email and snail mail.

Vote [1] INSIGHTFUL.

The only device likely to read a QR code is a mobile, and the devices most likely to have a URL typed in are browsers. Format the results to match the viewer.

I have run out of cards and on the next one I am going to have a quick link to my Facebook.

The only reason I did this was people were having problems finding me online. This is a sure way for them to be linked.

Why not... just... put the *url* on the card?

Not everyone has a smartphone... but everyone with the internet on their phone has the capability to type in a url... and if it's clearly spelled out on the card no one should have a problem finding it.

I think a QR code would make sense if it took your potential clients to some sort of media you wanted them to see or hear, but if it's just a link to a facebook page, that just seems like more work than it's worth and you're cutting out some people from being able to access it. And if you put BOTH a link AND the QR code... then that's just redundant and it's going to clutter the card.

Just my $0.02

I am using a personal page for photos (open can or worms again). I keep it professional what I say on there. I believe I can interact more when it's my personal page and they can see what I'm really like if needed. Therefore, it's not www.facebook.com/michaelcarrphotography. I could re-do another page (which I actually do have a "fan" page, but with no photos since I decided to use my personal page.) But, if it were that easy of just typing in the URL, I would do that. Honestly though, more times than not, they could download the barcode scanner and find my page AND add me before typing in www.facebook.com/michaelcarrphotography.

~Michael~

it is a hack or what?

QR codes are those square black & white things that are like UPC codes. They're used mainly for smart phones. You see them in newspapers, magazine ads, just about anywhere there's advertising. Mostly used to direct mobile device users to webs sites.

Most reactions

Back