Chris of Arabia

Herding cats since 1988...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For thos of you who've actually had a Canon 40D in your hands, how do you find the viewfinder when compared to earlier Canon models - I'm thinking specifically the 350D. I'm interested in knowing if there is a noticeable improvement in the size/brightness on the 40D, as at time I find the 350D to be hard to work with, particularly when I need to do some manual focusing - call it old age and dodgy eyes.

I had the 350D/XT before my 40D, and the difference is huge. I'm not saying that the 40D viewfinder is huge compared to other models (not sure on any of those) but that was an added benefit I didn't really think about when purchasing the 40D. The 40D viewfinder just seems more natural, and the 350D makes you want to squint.

To sum it up, Yes. I LOVE the size of the 40D viewfinder compared to the 350D.

That was what I was hoping to hear from someone - there are times with the 350D when I wonder whether I'm ever going to get the camera focused manually.

Yeah I just traded in the old XT for a 20D saturday, it seems clearer and bigger. also, being a pentaprism instead of a pentamirror it is also brighter. the precision matte focusing screen actually displays a more accurat sharpness for manual focusing, and even if you're using AF, it helps with keeping the subject in the depth of field of large aperture lenses.

one more thing about the 40d (i know it uses a lot of battery) but u've also got the live view...

Which does nothing other than teach you how NOT to hold a camera. Unless the camera is on a tripod and you're lining up landscapes ditch the live view. One thing while users here claim the 40D is far superior I am not sure what you base your manual focusability (not a real word) on. It may be loads better than a 350D, but modern cameras have nothing compared to the huge bright viewfinders of the old manual focus cameras in the 70s to late 80s. I find it is still hard to focus manually on the D200 and 30D I've used. No idea if the 40D will be much better but I can only assume no.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back