Quick release plate on D7100 grip MB-D15

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I always have my quick release attached on my body. It's for Manfrotto's RC-96 ball head and I don't want to change it. If I get the original Nikon grip, can I still attach the same place to it or would I have to get a different one? Also, would it still be safe and work fine?

Basically, I'd like to hear your views on the MB-D15 grip for D7100. Thanks!

Same place.

What you need to adjust to, when shooting vertical, is when you are holding your camera, it's not that comfortable with the quick release plate. However, you will get used to it pretty fast.

I haven't mounted either on my D7100 but from I've seen, it's the same place.

Just the same - but like MeddlinG states, it just takes getting used to.

That and the extra weight.

Thanks, guys! Is the grip still tight with the plate on it or does it get wobbly when mounted on a tripod?

I've had slight issues with tightness, but just make sure you twist it on SUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPER tight before you mount to tripod otherwise there may be the slightest wiggle (not good in strong wind)

Just a quick warning... The MB-D15 is built with a magnesium alloy plate that runs along the bottom of the grip and supports the tripod mount. Generic/knock-off/3rd party grips normally don't have this and only have plastic around the tripod mount.

Nikon MB-D15: I wouldn't think twice about using the tripod mount.
Generic Non-Nikon MB-D15: I wouldn't trust the tripod mount.

Most reactions

Back