r u a scientist or an artist?

Guess I must confess of being both. By trade being an artist yet aspiring to learn computer programming. Sort of Vonnagy in reverse...

this made me smile :) Knowing that you are musician I think you should be able to understanding the programming concepts quite easily - I used to study classical guitar before I injured my hands. Seems like I know alot of musicians that do well at programming. lol- and alot of musicians who are good at photography :D

vonnagy said:
Guess I must confess of being both. By trade being an artist yet aspiring to learn computer programming. Sort of Vonnagy in reverse...

this made me smile :) Knowing that you are musician I think you should be able to understanding the programming concepts quite easily - I used to study classical guitar before I injured my hands. Seems like I know alot of musicians that do well at programming. lol- and alot of musicians who are good at photography :D

You're right, concepts come somewhat easily to me. And being a musician involves some 'programming' of your mind, so, yes it is quite normal to see music and computers (also photography) being related. As for musicians being good at photography, one name comes to mind, Ansel Adams. He was definitely the photographer and after that, the musician. He started his career as a concert pianist and later quit in favor of photography. I'd say great decision to that!!

By way of classical guitar, I had the honor to play (in an orchestra) with Andre Segovia as soloist, many years ago. Stunning musician!

By way of classical guitar, I had the honor to play (in an orchestra) with Andre Segovia as soloist, many years ago. Stunning musician!

now i am jealous! thats fantastic! I guess if you were playing you didn't take any photos, eh?

vonnagy said:

now i am jealous! thats fantastic! I guess if you were playing you didn't take any photos, eh?

Not one, unfortunately. I have one though of Luciano Pavarotti, black and white picture taken with a Canon SB IV rangefinder at a first rehearsal, which he signed for me at the second rehearsal. That was some 15-16 years ago... :cry: (getting old here...) :D

What is it about the artist/musician link?? I have several musician friends who are artists and photographers and could go either way. :scratch:

terri said:
What is it about the artist/musician link?? I have several musician friends who are artists and photographers and could go either way. :scratch:

Musicians are artists also. Music is it's own art. I have been told that I'm a talented singer and do like to sing. I like to listen to music and find myself hearing every note yet not a single word. I think Art like Music can be appreciated on many different levels. There is a quote I dearly love that I will look up when I get home. I think the people here would appreciate it.

wow. just realized you dug this one up. how deep did you have to go for this one, Mark? musta been a buncha pages!
i have changed so much since i first posted this. you have given me pause to reflect...
when i wrote this, i was thinkin' i was more of an artist, still had quite alot of the science to learn. these days, i know how much i really have to learn. kinda like knowing better how very little i do know. does that make sense to anyone? :scratch:

these days, i feel like i have stalled. i still learn alot every day, especially by interacting with people like all you guys. but i am beginning to feel like i am not so latently talented, after all. i'm struggling with this one at the moment.
it's ironic, you know, because it is this very feeling to which i began to allude in the infamous "critique" thread that sorta sent it off on a tangent.
i had said that i thought the quality of photos on this forum had increased lately. i still believe that- some real talent on here. i can sit and talk all day about what is good and what is bad about these photos, and sound relatively educated about it, but i can not, to my satisfaction, match their quality- their "punch," if you will. so, in a way, i have had kind of a humbling experience here lately, and now i'm not sure whether i should claim either scientist or artist!
not to worry, i'm sure i'll shake it off. and dissatisfaction with one's own work has always been a good catalyst, no?

when i wrote this, i was thinkin' i was more of an artist, still had quite alot of the science to learn. these days, i know how much i really have to learn. kinda like knowing better how very little i do know. does that make sense to anyone?

to quote that famous liberal thinker Mr. Donald Rumsfield:

there things you don't know, there are things know you don't know and there are things you don't know that you don't know

lol, i know exactly where you are coming from on this - i didn't realise there so much to learn either when i joined back in september... always thought i was fairly decent until i got some good critiques on my work :D

lol, I was going through the general photography stuff and noticed this thread - i didn't realise you've been on the board for so long :lol:

it's not the critiques of my photos that has caused this feeling of... jeez, i don't even know what word to use here... unbalancedness?? not even a real word, but as close as i can come, for the moment.
it's my own observations that have led to this feeling.

ya, i guess i go back a ways, eh? i sorta drifted away for several months, did alot of listening and very little posting.

Here is that quote I talked about earlier. I think it is very fitting under the light of the latest posts.

"But then, no artist is normal; if her were, he wouldn't be an artist. Normal men don't create works of art. They eat, sleep, hold down routine jobs, and die. You are hypersensitive to life and nature; that's why you are able to interpret for the rest of us. But if you are not careful, that very hypersensitiveness will lead you to your destruction. The strain of it breaks every artist in time." -Irving Stone, Lust for Life

hmmmm. awesome quote, karissa. exactly how i feel - ABNORMAL. :lmao:

so, is it a direct relationship? i.e. the farther from "normal" the more talented? man, i feel better already! :cyclops:

Most reactions

Back