Rant: Why is it so hard to find a good film camera store?

Well, it will be the first time that I can actually claim that we are better-off in Europe! I have my film rolls developed in the local Supermarket...you can give in film rolls or have your digital memory card pictures printed out. Development of a roll 24 or 36 + 10X15 print by Fuji Print services cost €4,50 (about $6,10) and there are plenty of shops that sell decent equipment, new and vintage. Of course prices are higher than they are in the USA for modern equipment.

Same. In the Uk I can get one hour service - digital but decent prints and scan of 36exp C41 colour film for around £5-£7, right on the hugh street.
Dont let them touch your b&w, though!

We have a good camera shot here but its EXPENSIVE. Like something which is £20-60 on ebay is selling for £100-£200 there. they wanted me to pay £180 for a canon 50mm lens in EF............

Here, you can get digital prints made from your memory cards anywhere. It's the film processing for anything other than 35mm that we don't. Walgreens (massive convenience store chain) around here still does a large amount of it, so it isn't going away there. It's anything other than 35mm C-41 film that's a pain in the ever living rear end. Black & white gets shipped by most places. There IS a local lab that does B&W, but you're still looking at a week. Yay.

The only thing is the price of convenience. Their lenses/cameras are ridiculously expensive when compared to online options.

I would never buy more expensive equipment from the little camera store/lab that I go to for my color development, it's true. The prices are inflated to a point, and I'm on a budget that doesn't allow me to pay those inflated prices. But for other smaller things, I don't mind paying the convenience premium because I want to support their business as much as I can so they'll stick around! :) I'm also luckily in an area that is populated with other people who don't mind paying that premium for the more expensive equipment and repairs. That also helps keep them in business.

There are probably two main factors working here...

Film, film cameras, chemicals, etc has got to be a pretty slow moving market in most cities. Brick & Mortar stores have (still) not figured out how to compete with online markets - assuming that is even possible. That basically guarantees that stores catering to film users will be rare and overpriced, unless you live somewhere like Los Angeles or New York.

I buy Fuji Superia at Wal-Mart sometimes (they usually have Superia 200, 400, and 800 in stock - for a reasonable price too) - but there is NOWHERE to buy "pro" film (or any 120 film at all) locally, and CVS is the only place that even sells B&W film - at TRIPLE the online price.

So, yeah. Freestyle for me. When I buy film, I usually buy like 50 rolls at a time, so I rarely "run out" and have to get another roll "right now".

I feel your pain! I recently 'discovered' Ilford XP-2; its a B&W film that can be processed with C-41. I happen to have a local guy who does this and I found a roll to try.

Here, you can get digital prints made from your memory cards anywhere. It's the film processing for anything other than 35mm that we don't. Walgreens (massive convenience store chain) around here still does a large amount of it, so it isn't going away there. It's anything other than 35mm C-41 film that's a pain in the ever living rear end. Black & white gets shipped by most places. There IS a local lab that does B&W, but you're still looking at a week. Yay.

I feel your pain! I recently 'discovered' Ilford XP-2; its a B&W film that can be processed with C-41. I happen to have a local guy who does this and I found a roll to try.

Good in theory but *every* pharmacy ive used screws it up and prints it without adjusting the scanner, so the prints are sepia toned.

Good in theory but *every* pharmacy ive used screws it up and prints it without adjusting the scanner, so the prints are sepia toned.

Had that happen to me at walgreens. Used some nice new Kodak B&W and they printed it in sepia.

Had that happen to me at walgreens. Used some nice new Kodak B&W and they printed it in sepia.

Mine went sepia when i used the pre set for XP2 in veiwscan pro, but i have developed some XP2 in Rodinal and i like the look

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
The other day, I drove thirty minutes to the nearest camera store that still sells and develops film. As always, I left with a sour taste in my mouth: the guy behind the counter is surly, the gear they advertise on their website is never in stock, their photo scans marred by scratches and dirt. Every other camera store I've patronized in my area (SE Michigan) and those I've happened upon in other places are pretty much the same.

My theory is that most of these guys have been around for a long time and have seen much of their business evaporate in the last ten years. That probably stinks. But I also think there's a BIG opportunity for camera shops that recognize the opportunity as new customers enter the world of film and vintage cameras. In much the same way that vinyl records have evolved from garage sale refuse to premium products for audiophiles and aesthetes, I suspect film can and will continue to evolve from a high-volume industry into a high-profit niche.

As it stands, I wind up giving most of my photography money to KEH, BH, and Amazon, and I usually send out my film to indiefilmlab. This bothers me. I really want to support local businesses, and I crave the knowledge of the people who work there. Much of what I've learned in my other hobbies—vinyl records, cars, bicycles—I've learned from oldtimers behind the counters of some of my favorite stores.

Anyone else share this frustration? Anyone know of exceptions? I'd be willing to drive pretty far for a good customer experience.

I believe that you answered your own question. The markup is low in photography equipment sales, especially used equipment, lower still when you try to compete with KEH, BH and Amazon. They have been in business for years but over the past few years they have seen their market shrink because their knowledge and service isn't as appreciated as much as the few dollars someone can save buying online. To top it off a lot of browsers come in, try out potential gear, tap them for knowledge and then go and buy what they want online.

You want an answer to your question? Start with why do professional photographers complain about MWC's charging $500 for a wedding. You will quickly find your answer.

Well, this thread has been stewing for a while so I'll chime in.
Back in the 80's, within a few blocks of each other, there were 3 full fledged camera shops in Reading, Pa. Everything from darkroom supplies to a full array of film, to new and used cameras. Now there are none. Even one of the larger department stores and two mall shops in town carried a full inventory of darkroom supplies, obviously all gone.
I did discover a small shop about 30 miles from here that still carries Chemicals and paper. That's because 2 doors down the street is an art college. They even carry a large supply of Hoga's for your average college student to learn B&W....Really? A Hoga is a learning tool :er: ?

Not that long ago it seemed every Walgreens/CVS did film processing; now not so many. The one close to my house sends it out AND...you don't get the negatives back! Uh-uh, no way jose! The guy I found is a one hour photo place; maybe the only one in my fair city. Old dude, grumpy and persnickety BUT...he definitely seems to know what he's talking about. I guess I'll see when I get some rolls developed.

LOL, I like your tagline Gryphon; "I've reached the age where my brain went from "You probably shouldn't say that" to "What the hell, let's see what happens."

Couldn't agree more. There's discriminating buyers; those who know what they want and are willing to pay to get it. Then there's the purchaser who appreciates the knowledge base of the people behind the counter and is willing to pay/travel to get that. Then there's your vast majority who, as well intentioned that they may be, listen to the latest advertising hype, shop big box and wouldn't know good advice if it fell from the sky and hit them on the head!

The market is changing; brick and mortar stores are having to change their sales model to compete. There isn't enough of a local market in most cities so online is the way to go to broaden the customer base but this is true in ANY market these days. People shop smarter not harder and stores need to adopt that model too!

The other day, I drove thirty minutes to the nearest camera store that still sells and develops film. As always, I left with a sour taste in my mouth: the guy behind the counter is surly, the gear they advertise on their website is never in stock, their photo scans marred by scratches and dirt. Every other camera store I've patronized in my area (SE Michigan) and those I've happened upon in other places are pretty much the same.

My theory is that most of these guys have been around for a long time and have seen much of their business evaporate in the last ten years. That probably stinks. But I also think there's a BIG opportunity for camera shops that recognize the opportunity as new customers enter the world of film and vintage cameras. In much the same way that vinyl records have evolved from garage sale refuse to premium products for audiophiles and aesthetes, I suspect film can and will continue to evolve from a high-volume industry into a high-profit niche.

As it stands, I wind up giving most of my photography money to KEH, BH, and Amazon, and I usually send out my film to indiefilmlab. This bothers me. I really want to support local businesses, and I crave the knowledge of the people who work there. Much of what I've learned in my other hobbies—vinyl records, cars, bicycles—I've learned from oldtimers behind the counters of some of my favorite stores.

Anyone else share this frustration? Anyone know of exceptions? I'd be willing to drive pretty far for a good customer experience.

I believe that you answered your own question. The markup is low in photography equipment sales, especially used equipment, lower still when you try to compete with KEH, BH and Amazon. They have been in business for years but over the past few years they have seen their market shrink because their knowledge and service isn't as appreciated as much as the few dollars someone can save buying online. To top it off a lot of browsers come in, try out potential gear, tap them for knowledge and then go and buy what they want online.

You want an answer to your question? Start with why do professional photographers complain about MWC's charging $500 for a wedding. You will quickly find your answer.

For the same reason it's tough to find a buggy whip store.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back