Rant: Why is it so hard to find a good film camera store?

dav305z

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The other day, I drove thirty minutes to the nearest camera store that still sells and develops film. As always, I left with a sour taste in my mouth: the guy behind the counter is surly, the gear they advertise on their website is never in stock, their photo scans marred by scratches and dirt. Every other camera store I've patronized in my area (SE Michigan) and those I've happened upon in other places are pretty much the same.

My theory is that most of these guys have been around for a long time and have seen much of their business evaporate in the last ten years. That probably stinks. But I also think there's a BIG opportunity for camera shops that recognize the opportunity as new customers enter the world of film and vintage cameras. In much the same way that vinyl records have evolved from garage sale refuse to premium products for audiophiles and aesthetes, I suspect film can and will continue to evolve from a high-volume industry into a high-profit niche.

As it stands, I wind up giving most of my photography money to KEH, BH, and Amazon, and I usually send out my film to indiefilmlab. This bothers me. I really want to support local businesses, and I crave the knowledge of the people who work there. Much of what I've learned in my other hobbies—vinyl records, cars, bicycles—I've learned from oldtimers behind the counters of some of my favorite stores.

Anyone else share this frustration? Anyone know of exceptions? I'd be willing to drive pretty far for a good customer experience.

No.. There is an awesome store 3 miles away lol. But I just bought developing kit and a scanner so I can do it and experiment my self.

I feel you man. I just bought developing equipment as well so that's what I suggest.

The nearest camera store is over 2 hours away. I haven't been in one in over 10 years.

Hate to say that I am a product of the Internet shopping era.

We have no camera stores close to me. I have to drive to Salt Lake City which is I think 200 miles. And even then, that store kind of sucks with customer service. They are a little elitist.
So far, the best camera store I've been in, as far as helpful staff, was Mike's Camera in downtown Denver, Co. But Denver is about 6 hours away from me, so its not like I visit there often.

Amazon, KEH, Adorama and B&H get most of my business.

We've only had a small Ritz nearby, which closed down a year, or so. DC is the closest to me with "real" camera shops; my usual stop is Calumet (formerly Penn Camera), but there is also Embassy Camera and Pro Photo-DC, neither of which I've been to.

The problem is you live in the wrong country, we have lots of good shops and labs but i develope everything myself

Film camera stores are very difficult to find these days...film as a high-volume, commonplace commodity has disappeared mostly. The old days concept of "printing money" by charging customers $7.99 for 24 prints and $10.99 for 36 color prints out of a minilab line is long gone. Even expensive, quality dip & dunk places have closed down for the most part, and only the biggest, best, and most-savvy businesses survived the thinning of the herd. Digital cameras are simply what the greatest number of people are interested in, so it's very tough to find any place that's really geared to film to the degree that places used to be. Sad, really. I realllly miss some of my old camera shop haunts.

Still, there are at least 'some' places that can develop C-41 and E-6 these days, as well as B&W. I'm from the other side of the USA, so my suggestions would make for pretty much a four-day drive time for you. I do hope you can find something in your area. Maybe there's a place in Detroit??? I dunno...

Try spending your photographic career working in one.
I have worked in camera lab's/store's since 1985. Back then here in St. Louis there were around 30 camera labs and stores. Now, only 2 survive. I work at one and we do support film. The internet, big chain stores and digital photography has killed them all off. I know, I've been there for the closing of a few.

Sorry, but I lucked out on this one. I live about 20 minutes away from a camera store/lab that has been in business since 1937. They did all my developing until I started doing black and white myself, and they still get my color film. (I do my own scanning.) These guys know what they're doing, too, and my boyfriend and I have established a really good relationship with them. And sorry again, but they're in the metro New York area so they're no good for someone in SE Michigan.

I've never bought equipment from them - they've focused mostly on digital equipment and accessories these days, which I'm sure is why they've stayed in business - but I'll try to buy other things from them because I'd like to do what I can to support their business so they stick around for a long time.

For cameras, I've had good luck haunting a few good 'antique' shops (I'm sure most actual antique dealers would call them 'junk shops') as well as the usual online spots (yes, I've spent my share of money at keh and b&h and Adorama as well.)

Edited: Funnily enough, I just bought two records yesterday. The first vinyl I've bought for myself in probably 20-25 years. The New Zealand pressing of Devo's Greatest Hits (they never did a U.S. one) and Elvis Costello's Get Happy.

Used to be one right here in town, but now the closest one is 45 miles away. To be sure, lots of them are closed now, which is why I think we should allow them some latitude until we get to know each other. Try to put yourself in their place: The free-loaders come in, take up about two hours of your time, and then go order from the internet. It's enough to make someone become downright hostile.

Used to be one right here in town, but now the closest one is 45 miles away. To be sure, lots of them are closed now, which is why I think we should allow them some latitude until we get to know each other. Try to put yourself in their place: The free-loaders come in, take up about two hours of your time, and then go order from the internet. It's enough to make someone become downright hostile.

Happens at our store. But, we are known for professionals that live in LA or New York that travel here for our deals/expertise. Plus the store has been open here in St. Louis since 1892. We have grown (stayed in business) in the last 10 years mostly through the AV department. BIG money in "Smart-boards".

Antique stores CAN be good sources for film equipment. Estate/consignment shops are even better-got my Rollei 35 for something like $30-40 at a local. Got a Sigma APO 170-500 lens for Minolta Alpha mount (Maxxum/Sony) for $100 (sold it for $275-was initially for the wife, and she didn't like it much).

I've lucked out here. There's a store locally that tries to stock old film stuff on consignment, but the consignors set the prices. I did get Blad the Impaler (the 1600f) for $300 from them, and the accessories have basically paid him off, but a lot of the consignors have rather terrible ideas of what their stuff is worth-OM-1 MDs for $125? I think... no. They do a great job processing film, but only do it in one batch weekly.

I feel your pain!
I live in a fairly large city; I remember when (30-20 years ago) all of my favorite camera haunts; Dinon Photo, Guild Camera, Tempe Camera, Foto Forum, Wilson and a lot more, plus every mall usually had a camera store and I mean lots and lots of cameras, accessories, knowledgeable people behind the counter, film and film processing... a guy could spend HOURS in just one store! (And I did)

Fast forward 30 years; I was out of photography as a hobby a good long while. I just went through my old camera bag and dusted off my Canon A-1 did some maintenance and put a battery in her and she still works like a champ. I found a spare battery in the bag, Duracell with a Montgomery ward price tag of $9.99 and a date of 9/1991 which will tell you how long it's been (for me) I guess even Duracell lithium's wear out; (LOL) a new one at Radio Shack cost $16+tax. My sweet old A-1 now sits in line for her first roll of film in a while but behind the F3, AE-1 and Diacord but I digress.

Today only a few of the above stores are still around; some even remember the 'good old days'. Film is scarce, processing is even more so. Used to be, any old drug store did it; now even Walgreens is taking out their store machines and going with mail order (and you don't get your negatives, you get'em on CD...I-don't-think-so) Walmart still sells film but Fuji Superia is about it. There's only a few local labs, I'm lucky to have a one hour place minutes from my house I'm going to start using but 'my guy' sends his out to a lab, takes a week, two for B&W. The vast majority of places that 'process' only do printing and they look at you like you got two heads when you ask about film. There is always mail order.

I'm lucky to have ONE store that has a selection of decent used gear, DSLR and film. Very good guy, my go-to guy and I'm in there every week. Another store is well stocked with accessories and new DSLR's and they have some used stuff now and then but very far between. Good folks. Another is...snooty. Really big store, lots of inventory, even film stuff but they're way proud of their stuff. And they're the best. Just ask them. But I still go there because they got...stuff! Then there's the other guys; lots of used, no storefront mostly mail order. But they're local so I'd rather spend three bucks in gas and pick it up rather than ten buck shipping. LOTS of used stuff, all they do.

Yeah, it ain't like it used to be; big box has just about ruined the little guy which is why I try REAL hard not to shop there. But....you know how that is. Here's my final word.....mail order. B&H Adorama, KEH and many more all the way to Ebay, there's a TON of stuff out there. Let your fingers do the shopping!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back